Author Topic: Hello & "D" Battalion Query  (Read 5070 times)

selwyn

Hello & "D" Battalion Query
« on: March 23, 2010, 03:21:04 PM »
I am from the Manchester area but now live in South Wales.
My interest in the Manchester Regiment is as a result of losing my father in 1945 in Burma.

migky

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 03:40:25 PM »
Hi & welcome to the forum, i am sure you will get some great help from the folks on this site. I would have never been able to find half of what i have without the help of the people on here.
Migky  ;)

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 06:43:29 PM »
Hi Selwyn, and a Warm Welcome to our Forum !

I know you are interested in finding out more information regarding D Battalion who went to Imphal and Kohima in WW2.

Please don't hesitate to post in our 1939 - 1945 Section and I hope you obtain the information you require.

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

timberman

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 08:12:55 PM »
Hi Selwyn
Welcome to the forum.

There are some good books in the Museum of the Manchester's shop.

This is the link to the publications that the Museum have for sale.

http://www.tameside.gov.uk/museumsgalleries/mom/publications

Timberman

Offline Robert Bonner

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 08:36:17 PM »
Selwyn - Welcome to the forum.

If you are interested in the activities of 'D' company 2nd Manchesters in Burma then you will find a ten page appendix devoted to their war in Rex King-Clark's excellent book Forward from Kohima  There are photographs as well.

'D' Company carried out an independent role in Burma away from the main body of the battalion, commanded by a very fine soldier Major Dennis Bean MC.  The account was written by Roy Baker who commanded'A' Platoon of 'D' Company and who himself was awarded the Military Cross for his action during the battle of Pinwe.

The book is worth buying just for his account of the hair-raising battle with the Japs at Pinwe and is available either through any reputable bookseller or from the Museum of the Manchester Regiment.  ISBN 1-873907-117.   Essential reading if your Father served with the 2nd Battalion.

Robert
Robert

selwyn

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 09:34:07 AM »
Thank you all for the welcome and advice. I will have to get the book by Rex King Clarke... I may have already had it but have a habit of lending books.

I do have one question here.
I have a photograph taken when he was a Lance Corporal... he lost his rank later.
White belt.. Crossed swords or something on his left sleeve with a circle below then two inverted chevrons below that.
Does anyone know any significance or meaning of this uniform.

selwyn

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 09:54:00 AM »
Before I put my questions on the appropriate boards please allow me to let me to identify my father.
3524039 Pte. John William Taylor 
Enlisted 11 Feb 1930  some cofusion as he was 10th Battn poss Ta and had not officially left so
Re enlisted 20 Nov 1930 AUL and served with both the 1st. and 2nd Battn.
Bermuda,
BEF 22 9 1939 - 31 5 1940
India 11 4 1942 to 26 5 1945

Offline Robert Bonner

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 10:49:36 AM »
Selwyn.
If you want an accurate description of what your father was wearing you should send the photograph onto this site as an attachment. 
Robert

selwyn

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 11:16:37 AM »
Thanks Robert,
My son who is in the forces is the only one here who can send photographs and he left this morning for a week with family near Scourie in the Highlands.
I have now had another look at some of the papers I have collected and I find an explanation.. I have a part copy of a book and page 464 onwards does explain what D company were doing and that actual paperwork is lost or difficult to access.
Could it be that the part copy is the book you refer to...if so I will obtain an original

Offline george.theshed197

• sadly no longer with us
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 11:21:31 AM »
Morning Selwyn,
Wondered where you had got to, welcome to the site, I told you that you would get your questions answered here.
Take care,
George.

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 11:58:16 AM »
Hi Selwyn !

Your Hello topic has taken off so well I'm going to move it to the WW2 section as it is so others can add and you can get that photo attached.

Any problems just PM one of us !!!

Wendi  :)

Nice one George  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

selwyn

Re: Hello & "D" Battalion Query
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 12:40:50 PM »
I will ask my son when he returns to scan and attach the photograph.
In the meantime I have a photograph in Picassa that shows seven of the Manchester Reg inluding my father...names are in pencil on the back but I can make out only six..
AV Wil*** ,  PO Worsley ,   Padfield ,   L/c Taylor ,    Porter ,   L/c Foote  and Sgt. Squires
In my search I have found that
4278907 Pte. George Wilson of 2nd Battn Manchester Regt. died 5 4 1943  age 20  who drowned whilst swimming in a creek.
This was around the time that they were in Poona possibly Bhiwandi as they left Bhiwandi in April 43 to Ahmed Naggar

selwyn

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 01:56:49 PM »
Hello again Robert.
I have been in touch with AUL Museum and will get that book..
however I think that what I have is copied from  History of The Manchester Regiment First and 2nd Battallion 1922 - 1948 by A C Bell...
A search on this site reveals that you may may have access to this book..
 It would help me a lot if you could check page 464 Chapter X   D Company, 2nd Battallion  1942 - 1945.... if it is as I have shown then I have the right book...... unfortunatly it appears to be no longer available
Thank you
Colin

Offline Robert Bonner

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 11:03:24 AM »
Colin.

Yes, you have got the right book. Chapter X relates to the activities of 'D' Company and extends from page 464 to 496.  This plus the appendix in Forward from Kohima will give you a really full description of WWII warfare in Burma.

Robert
Robert