Author Topic: My father was one of the Halifax Hundred  (Read 4618 times)

catharriet

My father was one of the Halifax Hundred
« on: March 20, 2010, 01:13:25 AM »
My Dad, W. P. Delaney, was one of the Halifax Hundred who went to England prior to WW2.  It was very exciting to see him listed in the Halifax Hearld article in an early post.  What I found interesting is that the article mentioned that he had been wounded.  This is a fact that he never spoke of to us.  Now I'm curious.  Can any one tell me how I can find out details?  I also have a picture of, I believe is, the whole Manchester Regiment shortly after he arrived in England. 

Offline Dave1212

Re: My father was one of the Halifax Hundred
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 01:13:28 AM »
It is wonderful to hear from you. I will pm you my email address but please know I have talked with a couple of people who remember your father. I would love to learn more about him. If I'm not mistaken your Dad was Bill Delaney.

I don't have any further information regarding the report of your father being wounded however one of the men, George Lampier, himself wounded in May 1940, France recalled that Bill might have been hit during the same timeframe - nothing specifc though.

I am in contact with family & friends of over thirty of the '100' & I am so very happy you found us here.

I look forward to talking with you & learning more about your father. He is part of a great story. Thank you so much. You made my day!

Cheers,
Dave

catharriet

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 02:55:01 AM »
Hi Dave!  Yes, Bill Delaney was my Dad and I am his youngest child.  The next time I'm in Halifax I will get a copy of letters from Dad's uncles that were written prior and after he transferred to the Toronto Scottish.  I might be able to figure out which regiment he was in at the time the article from the Herald was written.  So, that might help!
Glad to have made your day!

Offline Dave1212

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 01:31:50 PM »
My day keeps getting better & better...

Two other men in the story, my uncle Mel Coppell & Art/Tony Rodgers also served with the Toronto Scots transferring from the 2nd Manchesters in 1941. I wager your father was within the same timeframe - 1941 appears to be the year of change for the majority of the men in the story.

You probably have seen the attached article but just in case, your father in mentioned in the second paragraph.

Offline Dave1212

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 01:40:52 PM »
Bill Delaney taken from the shot of the 41 Nova Scotians outside Ladysmith Barracks 1939.

catharriet

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 05:54:02 PM »
He was so young looking and handsome. 

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 09:25:44 AM »
Hi cartharriet !

Thanks for sharing your history with us, I know Dave is thrilled !

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

catharriet

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 01:43:13 AM »
Hi Wendy!  This is actually exciting for both my brother and I.  We have now confirmed that it is our Dad in a picture Dave shared.