Author Topic: John (Jack) Owen - Army Number 3530596 2nd/3rd?? Battn Manchester Regiment  (Read 2678 times)

kevans5

Hi,  I'm currently researching my Dad's war history (it was something he would never talk about whilst he was alive, so I know very little).  I've obtained a copy of his army records and know that he originally signed on with the Manchester Regiment on 14th January 1939 when he was 18 years and 1 month old, he then transferred to the Loyal Regiment, where I believe he was an instructor of new recruits. He then transferred to the Duke of Wellington Regiment on 7th March 1942. He was originally posted to India, but after being trained as a Chindit, went to fight in the second Expedition in Burma. 
I've got some history from his time in the Dukes but know nothing at all about his time in the Manchester Regiment, or why he transferred to the Loyal Regiment then onto the Duke of Wellington Regiment.  I've got an official photograph of him when he was in the Manchester Regiment, but cannot make out if he was in the 2nd or 3rd Battn.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,  Kath

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Administrator
hi Kath

welcome to the group

WW2 isn't my field of expertise but i'm pretty sure that would be the 2nd battalion,   i am pretty sure there wasn't a 3rd battalion at that time

do you know when he transferred into the Loyals?

cheers

chris
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."