Author Topic: On mobilisation in 1914, did reservists travel to join 2nd Bn in Ireland?  (Read 3721 times)

Offline John W

On mobilisation in 1914, did the reservists travel to join 2nd Bn in Ireland and then all sail directly to France - which the War Diary seems to indicate. The sequence of events (briefly) is as follows:

5th: Mobilised
7/8th: 600 reservists arrive
13th: Bn entrain for Dublin
14th: Embarked with 26 Offs, 1 WO, 50 SNCOs, 937 ORs
15th: At sea
16th: Arrive Havre

Also, what ship did they sail on?
In memory of my great grandfather: 9671 Pte Joseph Percy Rothwell, Manchester Regiment (Boer War, Mons, Le Cateau, PoW, Home Guard) & his father, 1090 Pte Joseph Rothwell, 12th (The Prince of Wales's) Royal Regiment of Lancers 1871-1882.

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
re the reservists, i would have thought the would have gone directly to where the battalion was (in ireland) but it's an opinion only

the ship was the 'Buteshire'
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Offline John W

Thanks Chris - my grandmother was convinced (although she was only five) that her father went to Aldershot on mobilisation, so this is new to me. Having read the WD - there is mention of 600 reservists reporting in before they leave Ireland and go straight to Le Havre which does make sense. I'm assuming that they sailed direct and didn't stop off in Southampton to pick up horses, men etc.

I could not make out the ships name, it looked like Bulfire to me!
In memory of my great grandfather: 9671 Pte Joseph Percy Rothwell, Manchester Regiment (Boer War, Mons, Le Cateau, PoW, Home Guard) & his father, 1090 Pte Joseph Rothwell, 12th (The Prince of Wales's) Royal Regiment of Lancers 1871-1882.

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
on reflection it's got to be ireland or else the author of the WD wouldn't know, also the sequence of events in the diary would be different IMHO ;)

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
the curragh 7th aug 1914
capt anthony 3rd manchesters, brought over,200 reservists

8th aug 1914
capt foord and 2/Lt vandespar returned from the depot with 400 reservists,later that day,2/Lt balshaw arrived with another 90.

the 2nd batt joined the 8th division at aldershot during the boer war.

mack

Offline John W

Thanks Mack,
Can you please tell me where this is from and post a scan of the document for me? I have the WD but these events are not mentioned.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
its not from a document john,its from the manchester regt gazette 1914/15.
mack

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
reservists from WD

Offline John W

It doesn't mention Capts Foord, Anthony or Lt Vandsepar (or Balshaw and the other 90) in the WD that's all so I assumed that it was another source.

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
it probably was from an original source!  ;) they wouldn't have had access to the WDs then