Author Topic: Regiment Number same as Service Number?  (Read 8553 times)

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
Re: Regiment Number same as Service Number?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 09:48:21 AM »
a joseph brown was buried in phillips park cemetery in 1918
there were also 2 jane browns buried there,in 1968.

mack

The Colonel

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 01:24:11 PM »
Hi, I have read through Joseph's WWI papers which are available on ancestry.com. It states in his papers that he died of wounds, but no date is given. So, Joseph was invalided home and discharged due to his wounds.

I think Joseph would be eligible for inclusion on the CWGC database, since he is not listed at present. Other similar cases have been accepted by the CWGC... Link
http://www.cwgc.co.uk/AmendRec.htm

The book that tells the story of the 12th battalion, Manchester Regiment during WWI priced £4.50p. It's a very good book!
Here is the link http://www.tameside.gov.uk/museumsgalleries/manchester/publications

The Colonel.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 01:30:58 PM by The Colonel »

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 01:33:19 PM »
Hi everyone !  Colonel I've just been reading thro' his papers too  ;)

Welcome to TMF Lowejackson  ;D The Colonel's right about CWGC but you would need his death cert to take thing further....

they had one child, Jane Brown (1914 – 1989)

Just so this is not overlooked, according to his "descriptive report on enlistment" he had Four children, Ada born August 23, 1906 in Ardwick.  Joseph born March 29, 1908 in Ancoats.  Jane born October 30, 1913 in Ancoats and James born May 5, 1915 in Chorlton.

Wendi  :)

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Lowejackson

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 06:26:36 PM »
I cannot thank everyone enough, all this information far exceeded what I thought was possible.

Just to add a personal dimension to this, Joseph Brown requested one of his medals to show "he had done his bit".  I am not sure why he did not claim all his medals but clearly there was some pressure for him to demonstrate why he was not involved in the war.

For me, what is nice is a solider who fought in a war, in terrible circumstances was lost to history but now there is someone who can ensure he will not be forgotten.

One day I would like to trace the steps he took and identify the battle(s) he took part in but for the moment there is more research to do.

On an entirely separate note, is there this much information on 2nd World War soldiers?  My wife’s grandfather (Thomas Irving MacLaren 13/2/1916 - 2001) served in the Manchester Regiment although he was born and lived in Carlisle.  All we really know is at some stage he was posted to Southern Ireland (Irish Free State) as a weapons instructor and therefore missed out on the regimental battles in Caen etc following the Normandy invasion in 1944

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2008, 08:46:22 AM »
Hi Lowejackson and thanks for your kind words !

With regard to WW2, and indeed generally for service personnel after around 1920* their records are only available to themselves or their next of kin, and can be applied for via the Veterans Agency who have a web page here

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

Wendi  :)

* please see web page for exact details of records in the public domain.
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha