Author Topic: New User, Inf needed please, Malaya 1952  (Read 7423 times)

carolewithane

New User, Inf needed please, Malaya 1952
« on: January 04, 2008, 12:45:50 AM »
Hi There

I am trying to find any information about my uncle, Eric Buckley who I beleieve was in the 1st M/c Batallion and died in either 1952 0r 1953, served in the Malayan Emergency. Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks,  Carole

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
Re: New User, Inf needed please, Malaya 1952
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 07:28:34 AM »
hi carole

welcome to the group

hopefully Captain Bonner will be able to help you, he served with the manchesters in malaya

in the meantime i'll move this query into the 'Other Manchester Regiment Queries'

cheers

chris
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Offline sphinx

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 07:39:15 AM »
Carole,

Sadly your uncle, Private 22452173 Eric F. Buckley, 1st Bn. Manchester Regiment was Killed in Action in Malaya on 28.2.1953.
Do you have his medal(s) or any photos?

regards

carolewithane

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 08:55:07 PM »
Hello Sphinx {and anyone else who could help]

Thanks for your information about Eric Buckley. I have nothing at all in the way of photos, no knowledge of army history at all. In fact, until I get the D.O.B of Eric F Buckley who was killed in Malaya on that day I can,t really be sure it is the person I'm searching for. I have my uncle's date of birth, having found it and verified it through various internet sites. There is no one in the family I can ask. This was my fathers' young brother whom I never knew, my father was very proud of him but unfortunately as happens when you are younger, I never asked the history. I do remember seeing a photo of Eric in uniform in the past but that is all. I know that he died in the war and that in itself is a tragedy but if I could get more info about the battles etc he was involved in, or see a roll of honour or know there was a grave somewhere commemorating him It would make me very happy.

regards, Carole

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator

carolewithane

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 10:25:08 PM »
Hello Again

I think you guys are THE best, I have been trying for so long with no result and no wyou have given me the name and details which show for SURE it is him!!!  I am so happy you have no idea, to know that his name is written in history and he did not fall off the end of the earth with no one caring...thanks so much. I am going to try to find out as many details as I can, but thank you..

Cheers'
Carole

tisgrannie

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 09:09:00 AM »
Hi If you check on War Graves section there is an extra there today for you. Also if you look in War Graves on our main site your Uncle Eric has been added along with a photo of Penang Western Rd Cemetery.
cheers tis
P S
I would like to acknowledge the photos came in record time from Steve at The War Graves project. I wouldn't normally ask but the fact it is not WW1 or WW11.

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 09:54:54 AM »
indeed! amazing work by Steve, well done that man

Offline Robert Bonner

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 10:43:42 AM »
Carole.

Lance Corporal Eddie Buckley served in 'C' Company of 1st Manchesters and died on 28 February 1952.  His death is mentioned on page 38 of
'Jungle Bashers' and also on the Roll of Honour on page 112. Copies of the book are available  from the museum or any reputable bookseller.

Eddie is also recorded on the Malayan Veterans memorial plaque in the Regimental Museum and in the Book of Remembrance in the Regimental Chapel in Manchester Cathedral.  He will also be remembered with the names of other Malayan casualties on a memorial plaque in the Chapel which will be unveiled later this year.

Robert
Robert

Offline sphinx

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 03:14:37 PM »
Carole,

Can we confirm that your uncle was "ERIC" or "EDDIE".

regards

carolewithane

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 04:19:15 PM »
Hello again

It was definately ERIC and not Eddie. The Roll of Honour on the Armed Forces has him as Eric, that's the one which you pointed me to. I wonder where the 'Eddie' comes in. The posting above this refers to Eddie. Is there any way I can check this? All the details re: date of birth and place of birth tally with the information I already knew. Puzzle....I will definately read the book referred to in the above post.

Regards, Carole

Offline Robert Bonner

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 05:08:31 PM »
Carole.

I don't think that there is any doubt that Eric and Eddie are the same person.  There are many reasons why he would be called Eddie - possibly he or his comrades did not like the sound of Eric.  Certainly in a military sense of comradeship 'Eddie' sounds much warmer. Whatever his given name he was certainly Eddie to his pals.

Robert.
Robert

tisgrannie

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 10:32:52 PM »
Can I ask Robert did you know Eddie? Or of him at least? Is it the experience of comradeship that personalise these kind of things.
I am just curious. You make him sound like a good friend of yours. In a very nice way!
regards
tis

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 11:04:15 PM »
can i just butt in and post this link from the main site  :)

http://www.themanchesters.org/malaya.htm

thanks

carolewithane

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 11:42:31 PM »
Thanks, I just read that , it makes your blood run cold to think of such young men facing such a world, totally unlike anything they have known in their short lives. I wouder how many of that same group are still around today and how it changed their lives?
I did know that he was killed and am grateful to have the missing pieces of history filled in, however sad they are in my case.
Carole