Author Topic: Not on CWGC ....... at least I can't find him !!  (Read 4971 times)

liverpool annie

Not on CWGC ....... at least I can't find him !!
« on: December 19, 2007, 02:41:27 AM »

It's me again ... here to cause trouble for Harribobs !!  ::)
This was in the paper 29th January, 1916 and I have a few questions .....

GORTON SOLDIER

Invalided Home Through Wounds and Illness

Private Joseph McGahey of 133 Gorton Lane, West Gorton, is at home on sick leave, having suffered from ? wounds and illness. He was wounded in the Battle of Mons last year (1915) and has also been wounded on another occasion. He belongs to the Lancashire Fusiliers, and, we understand there is a possibility of being recommended for honours. He has served both in the Dardanelles and in France. He is a single young fellow of 21 years. He states that he was servant to a millionaire officer, who was found dying in the trenches. Private McGahey bound up the officer's wounds.

The wound he received in the Battle of Mons was in his chest.

The youth belongs to a well known Gorton family. His father is a lithographic designer and artist. Private McGahey is on the Roll of Honour of St. Francis' Monastery, Gorton. He has a brother 25 years of age who belongs to the (6th ?) Manchester (Ardwicks). He is also a St Francis boy.

If he was on the Honour Roll .... it meant he died but I can't find anything !! and I was wondering if you knew anything about his brother in the Manchesters that could give me a clue of where to find him !!

Thanking you in advance !

Annie  :)

liverpool annie

Re: Not on CWGC ....... at least I can't find him !!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 02:49:49 AM »

I meant to say .... he has 2 medal cards !!

http://www.rootschat.com/links/02e3/

I'd appreciate the help !

Annie  :)

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 03:53:21 AM »

I meant to say .... he has 2 medal cards !!

http://www.rootschat.com/links/02e3/

I'd appreciate the help !

Annie  :)
always glad to help you me darlin
pte 2788 joseph mcgahey
joined the lancs fusiliers in march 1913
landed in france in aug 1914
took part in the retreat from mons and the fighting around the marne and the aisne.
suffered two wounds.
he later went to gallipoli,he was invalided home in december due to sickness.
he was later discharged as medically unfit for further service in july 1916.
lived at 133 gorton lane,gorton
the family were later living at 42 gorton lane in 1917/18.
also living at this address,were these two men

pte william mcgahey
 manchester regt
then pte 60520 kings liverpool

pte charles,kennedy mcgahey
6648 manchester regt[regular army]
then pte 203132,5th manchesters
and pte 51120 KRRC.

after the war,joseph moved to 13 clifford st, lower openshaw[part of gorton]

mack ;D
ps,the roll of honour was for all those who served.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 04:16:39 AM by mack »

liverpool annie

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 05:11:16 AM »

Woohoo Mack !  :)

Thank you very much !!

But oh Lordy .... is that true about it being for those who served ?? I thought it was for the ones who fell !!

Annie  :-\

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 05:22:13 AM »
it looks like the roll of honour was for those who served as well as those who died.
many churches had these type of rolls.
joseph was still alive in 1920/21.
your newspaper article has helped to confirm that the roll of honour,is for those serving.
mack

liverpool annie

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 05:33:55 AM »

I was sent a picture taken in the 1980's of the Calvary and we knew the Honour Roll was right beside it ..... you can just see a trace of the side of it .... so close - but not close enough !! ....  :-\ :-\ :-\

Now what do I do ?? .... do I keep on doing what I'm doing ?

I have about 30 more soldiers to add to the men who lived in Gorton - but I haven't included any living !!

And then .... I have a soldier who was an old boy of St Francis' Monastery Gorton but came from Openshaw and was awarded the DCM .... I HAVE to include him too !

Bu**er !!

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 05:54:11 AM »

I was sent a picture taken in the 1980's of the Calvary and we knew the Honour Roll was right beside it ..... you can just see a trace of the side of it .... so close - but not close enough !! ....  :-\ :-\ :-\

Now what do I do ?? .... do I keep on doing what I'm doing ?

I have about 30 more soldiers to add to the men who lived in Gorton - but I haven't included any living !!

And then .... I have a soldier who was an old boy of St Francis' Monastery Gorton but came from Openshaw and was awarded the DCM .... I HAVE to include him too !

Bu**er !!
you can include who you want annie,its your roll of honour :)openshaw was part of gorton.
mack

tisgrannie

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 07:21:26 AM »
Hi Annie just popped in to say, It is your Roll of Honour the title of it changes thats all. Men who served and some gave the ulimate Sacrifice designated by whatever way you choose. It was worthy of a mention for all serving men. It will show people from Gorton who fought in that terrrible War.
regards
tis
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 07:10:11 AM by tisgrannie »

Offline angelab

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 06:54:01 PM »
It's not only the dead who are heroes, Liverpool Annie.  An American friend who fought in Vietnam said that to me recently.

The survivors were just a bit luckier - though those who lived out the rest of their days with the results of wounds and gassing might sometimes not have thought so.
Others would have carried to their graves the memories of the horrors they had seen, and of the friends blown to bits beside them.

All the above applied to my friend's experiences of Vietnam as it did to WWI.

So go on.  All those who served deserve to go on your Roll of Honour!

Angela