Author Topic: Thomas Christopher Moran 35782  (Read 6558 times)

privatemouse

Thomas Christopher Moran 35782
« on: October 23, 2007, 10:26:17 AM »
Hi
Am doing research on a Thomas Christopher Moran who was in the Manchester Regiment in ww1. I applied for his medal role and his regiment no. is 35782. Who anyone know which battalion he was in? I know he joined in 1915 and was discharged in May,as no longer fit for service and was entitled to Silver War Badge and British War and Victory Medal. He was posted to Dept.Manchester Regiment and this is where he was discharged from. If can find out which section he was from hopefully can get photos etc,and do more research.

Kind Regards :)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 10:33:26 AM by harribobs »

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
Re: Thomas Christopher Moran 35782
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 10:49:36 AM »
hi mouse

welcome to the group

can I ask you where you got your information from regarding signing up and discharge etc ( to save anyone duplicating the work)

his service number is a mid war number that was used through out the regiment and so doesn't give us any clues, we may be able to ascertain it from his medal index card

just a small point, "Dept.Manchester Regiment" is Depot, Manchester Regiment ( Ashton)

cheers

chris

“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

privatemouse

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 02:39:22 PM »
Hi Chris,

Someone kindly gave me info for Thomas on the Rootschat,as I had no idea how to read the medal roll. Thanks for clearing up mistake,now I knows its 'Depot' thanks. Cant you tell am not used to this!! Also no. 35782 was on certificate of discharge which have at home. Must admit that when checking medal rolls some have more info than others and tell you which battalion. Unfortunatley havent been that lucky on my searches so far,they usually just say 'private'.

Kind Regards ;)

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 03:10:03 PM »

what you have probably got is his medal index card, these cards are simply the index to the actual medal rolls, which have the (hopefully) full information on them

early MICs have got a lot more information on them but thomas's probably has very little other than his medals (which tells us he didn't go abroad until after 1915) his SWB, which tells us he was injured or wounded in service and the actual medal roll reference  ( something like H/104 1234)

if you can give us that reference we may be able to look it up

chris

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 04:55:05 PM »
Hi
Am doing research on a Thomas Christopher Moran who was in the Manchester Regiment in ww1. I applied for his medal role and his regiment no. is 35782. Who anyone know which battalion he was in? I know he joined in 1915 and was discharged in May,as no longer fit for service and was entitled to Silver War Badge and British War and Victory Medal. He was posted to Dept.Manchester Regiment and this is where he was discharged from. If can find out which section he was from hopefully can get photos etc,and do more research.

Kind Regards :)
he cant have been discharged in may 1915,his army number wasnt issued till 1916.
not too sure about the SWB,but i recall they were issued after 1915.roy will know.
in order for him to have been discharged in may 1915,he would have had to have been medically assessed in feb/march 1915,it usually took a couple of months for discharge papers to be drawn up.
mack

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 01:30:27 PM »
He was in the 2nd Battalion Manchester Regt.

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 03:12:04 PM »
not too sure about the SWB,but i recall they were issued after 1915.

Silver War Badge was authorised in September 1916, and given to those who were invalided out of the army after wound or sickness either at home or abroad.

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 03:13:17 PM »
2nd battalion section on main site

http://www.themanchesters.org/2nd%20batt.htm

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 07:27:14 PM »
The discharge soldier had to apply for the SWB, it was the only medal/badge that was not given out, a lot of discharge soldier were refuse the first time they apply for it, thats why there are a lot of Army Orders ref the issuing of the badge form 1916 uptil 1922. There was approximate 880,500 badges issue out by 1922.