Author Topic: World War Two Casualty  (Read 3604 times)

nminogue

World War Two Casualty
« on: October 12, 2009, 11:09:46 PM »
HI,
I am trying to find information on my late uncle who was killed in world war II. His name was Martin Ryan and he died in 14 Sep 1944.
I found on Ancestory.co.uk a Martin Ryan who died on that date, who was killed in Italy. (I never knew where he died)
That record also states that he was a private in the Manchester Regiment (8th I think from the graves website)
How would I go about tracing his time in the army and finding out about the battles he was involved with? I am compiling a family tree
at the moment and it would be great to learn something about this man. He was born in Kilkenny, Ireland and was about 27 when he died.

Kind regards
Noreen Minogue

Offline Robert Bonner

• Administrator
Re: World War Two Casualty
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 10:28:27 AM »
Noreen.

Private Martin Anthony Ryan died on 14th September 1944 whilst serving with the 8th (Ardwick) Battalion.  He is buried in Arezzo War Cemetery, Italy.

During September 1944 the Ardwicks joined with Skinners Horse, the Nabha Akal Infantry and one squadron of the Lovat Scouts to form what was known as Wheeler Force.  Their role was to open up Route 71 between Bibbiena and Florence. 

During the second half of September this detached column successfully mopped up and harried enemy rearguards. However there was still constant enemy shellfire and as a result Private Rathbone, ‘C’ Company, was killed on 6 September and two others wounded. Corporal Richard Bullock of ‘B’ Company was killed as the result of shellfire in the area of the Bibbiena hospital on 10 September.

I can find no account of anyone being killed as a result of enemy action on the 14th and suspect that Pte Ryan was one of the two men wounded on 6th September, later dying of his wounds on the 14th.

I hope this is of help in your research.

Robert

Robert

liverpool annie

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 04:12:08 PM »

Hi Noreen and welcome !

I know you have already seen this - but this includes his service number which may help you further !

In Memory of
Private MARTIN ANTHONY RYAN

4619544, 8th Bn., Manchester Regiment
who died
on 14 September 1944

Remembered with honour
AREZZO WAR CEMETERY

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 07:19:38 PM »
His service number (4619544) was issue out to the The Duke of Wellington's Regiment.

nminogue

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 03:50:31 PM »
Thanks everybody for your help.
Thanks Annie for your help and interest ;)

Robert, you have given me a few areas to explore and I really appreciate it. :)

not sure what you mean 'themonsstar', is The Duke of Wellington Regiment something I should follow?
I'm sorry I am not very well up in military history  ???

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 04:25:21 PM »
Hi Noreen !

What themonsstar is pointing out is that when he initially joined up he was issued a number which shows that his original Regiment was The Duke of Wellington. http://www.dwr.org.uk/dwr.php?id=54

Later he was obviously transferred, but as his number was unique to him he took it with to his new Regiment(s).

His service records would be available to his next of kin.  The "how to" info is on the Veterans site here http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/army.html

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

nminogue

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 09:31:41 AM »
Robert,
I have just got your book 'The Ardwick Boys went to Malta' and am enjoying reading it. I was wondering if you or anyone else has a similar book detailing the Ardwick Boys in Italy in 1944?
Noreen

nminogue

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 10:48:54 AM »
Hi all

I've just received my uncle's service records. Its hard enough to read them, but from
what I can gather, he served with the South Staffordshire Regiment and was in Persia / Iraq.
was involved with involved with the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force and the British North Africa Force.
He was in Italy during 1944 and was transferred to the Manchester Regiment on the 6th Sept 1944 and died
of his injuries on the 14th of Sept 1944.

Could this mean that he was injured on the 6th Sept and was transferred to the Manchester Regiment perhaps because
his regiment was moving on and he may have been cared for by the Manchester Regiment?

I'll never be able to look at a war film in the future without thinking of all those brave people who gave their lives