Author Topic: 22nd Manchester's R.S.M. John Hargreaves M.C.  (Read 7030 times)

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
Re: 22nd Manchester's R.S.M. John Hargreaves M.C.
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2009, 06:14:03 PM »
a slight correction,he previously served in 5th cheshire regt for 2yrs,not the 5th manchesters,he was a boilermaker by trade,he resigned from the force on 27-1-15 in order to enlist,he served in E.division[gorton]manchester city police,rejoined the police on 15-1-1919,he died on 19th august 1938 while still serving in the force,rank at the time,was serjeant.
i think tony may have found a picture of him.

mack ;D

liverpool annie

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2009, 06:25:13 PM »

He must be one of mine then Mack ?! ....

As he came home - he's not on the memorial .... but I'd be honoured to include him if Matthew would like me to !

Annie  :)

Offline mhargreaves

• rsm john hargreavesmc 22nd manchesters:seeking inf
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 08:55:05 PM »
Hello,

I have found a photo of my great grand father. I'm not sure of the date of the photo. Can anyone confirm what rank he is in the photo? what are the emblems on cuffs? i have his list of promotions so can work out a date from that. I can now identify him in the other two photos that were kindly provided by this site.

I was showing his record of service cards to my history teacher friend who pointed out that he was wounded on the first day of the somme 1.7.16. shrapnel in the thigh. lucky?

regards,

Matthew Hargreaves
Matthew Hargreaves
My great grandfather RSM John Hargreaves M.C. served with the 22nd Battalion Manchester Regiment

timberman

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 09:12:14 PM »
Hi Matthew

Re done the photo so people don't have to down load it.

He was a RSM (WO1) as on his Medal Index card

Thanks for the PM.
Additional info.

This is from wiki

Regimental quartermaster-sergeants wore four chevrons on the lower sleeve, point upwards, with a star above, but adopted the crown when they too became warrant officers class II in 1915. In their case, however, the crown was surrounded by a wreath. Regimental sergeant-majors, who before the Boer War had worn four chevrons with a crown, were given in 1902 the badge of a single large crown on the lower arm, but adopted a small version of the Royal arms in its place in 1915 when they became warrant officers class I.

Timberman
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 10:23:41 PM by timberman »

Offline mhargreaves

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 10:38:40 PM »
Thanks for that. just been reading the history of the rank too.

So i understand the stripes go and the coat of arms on cuff for rsm. so this photo is after 14/11/1916 when he was promoted to rsm of 22nd.

He appears to have a badge on his right shoulder too? do you know what this would be?
Matthew Hargreaves
My great grandfather RSM John Hargreaves M.C. served with the 22nd Battalion Manchester Regiment

timberman

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 11:11:34 PM »
Hi Matthew

Sorry I don't, someone else may be able to help.

Timberman

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2009, 07:59:19 PM »
hi matthew

the photo is very small and i can't make out the detail, can you post a higher resolution one please  ;D

cheers

chris
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

timberman

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2009, 08:23:01 PM »
Hi chris

If you download matthew's original photo you can enlarge it. Still can't work out what the badge is though.

Timberman

Offline mhargreaves

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2009, 12:12:04 AM »
Not sure if i know how to download it with a higher res. apologies.

Went to National army museum and iwm in london over the weekend. Surprised there was no standard across regiments for ranks. and the change from cuff to shoulder seemed very ad hoc.

Plus my great grandfather was wounded in action but he wears no single (brass?) stripe on his cuff. it does appear in other photos of the day. Maybe a personal choice as whether to wear it?
Matthew Hargreaves

Offline Djedj

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2017, 12:38:46 PM »
Bonjour Michael,

I sent you a PM, one that you absolutely want to check !
I see this is an older thread....if anybody is in contact with him, please let him know of this.

Cheers !
Jerome

Offline mhargreaves

22nd Manchester eBay medals
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2017, 06:22:44 PM »
Jerome,

Thanks for your email.

i have copied it below. the medal on ebay is my grt grandfathers bronze italian medal. i have the original framed with his mc and ww1 trio. some years back i created a "copy" diplay for a relative medals with a pic and citations etc. the medal company did not have a bronze italina valour medal so made a copy of mine.

clearly they made other copies too. this was with my approval. the ebay one is fake. or the one on my wall is fake!
my origainal is on a different coloured ribbon.

i'll post this on the forum ti ask whether this is usual?

Many thansk for bringing this to my attention

Regards

MAtthew hargreaves

Bonjour Michael,

Hope you will see this message.
I was browsing French ebay, and I was intrigued by a Bronze AVM medal.
It turned out to be named to a British Soldier - I like to google for info, to see if there's some interesting history behind..

Of course I found this forum and your blog pages - as the AVM is named to your ancestor !
It is for sale now - mistakenly mixed up with some older French Medals.

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/DECORATION-LOT-EN-TABLEAU-/152561702634?hash=item238562d6ea:g:2acAAOSwuMZZJ~U8

I have no connexion to seller - but seeing how you got passionate .. well I had to let you know !
Hope you get it !
Bien cordialement,
Jerome

Matthew Hargreaves