Author Topic: Albert Bentley, 24th [service] battalion  (Read 11770 times)

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
Re: Albert Bentley, 24th [service] battalion
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 03:16:12 PM »
living a few doors away from albert,were these two men
richard,s newton 45 kelverlow st
richard rigby 40 kelverlow st.

if you check your copies of cotton town comrades.
theres this man,who is living at the same address as albert
pte 14402 albert bardsley 67 kelverlow st[hes not in MIC]

mack

liverpool annie

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2007, 03:26:08 PM »

For anybody with ties to Blackburn with Darwen .... this is a great site .... check out the Roll of Honour and see if you see any of your family names ! 

http://www.cottontown.org/page.cfm?pageid=257

Annie  :)

frogturn

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2007, 04:32:18 PM »
Mack ,you've given me alot to think about,Albert Bardsley was not only living at the same address ,but his service number is so close they obviously joined up together,and they were in the same platton and company.Does anyone know anything about him?
I thought he might be related[the wifes family are often boarders on census's]but Albert Bentleys  mothers maiden name was Hollingworth.I can't find anything on Ancestry about Alberts life in oldham as the census only go up to 1901 and they originally came from Newton Moor.[IBy the way, all these place names mean nothing to me,exotic as they are,as dad moved down south with the army in the 1950's and married a Moonraker]
with reference to Frank Bentley ,i found this on the back of a postcard to Albert 'from cousin elija'
Again many thanks,it all helps to 'flesh out 'his story.
best,Paul.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2007, 04:43:09 PM »
hiya paul.
i checked albert bardsley out,his number is not listed in the MICs,nor was there a albert bardsley in the 24th batt,it could be an error that cropped up in mitchinsons original research,hes probably YOUR albert,he was reported to have been wounded.
how did your uncle albert get hold of sgt liddles grave photo,was he a pal of alberts

mack

frogturn

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2007, 04:51:50 PM »
Mac,you could well be right,the fact he's described as a fitter,the same job as Albert Bentley,could also be more than just coincidence.
I believe Albert took a trip to France ,as along with the photo of sgt liddle there was also an early photo of st georges church ,Ypre.I assumed they must of been friends.
I would be interested on any details of alberts injury,he told me he was gassed[mustard i think]was any other comrades injured in the same attack?thanks,paul.

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2007, 11:01:19 PM »
hiya paul.
i checked albert bardsley out,his number is not listed in the MICs,nor was there a albert bardsley in the 24th batt,

err   ;D actually did you check your 24th batt book of honour CD, done by yours truly?

BARDSLEY   A   PTE   14991   D company   platoon 15   page 96
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2007, 10:27:50 AM »
hiya paul.
i checked albert bardsley out,his number is not listed in the MICs,nor was there a albert bardsley in the 24th batt,

err   ;D actually did you check your 24th batt book of honour CD, done by yours truly?

BARDSLEY   A   PTE   14991   D company   platoon 15   page 96

14991 arthur bardsley ;)