Author Topic: private henry walsh  (Read 4124 times)

maggie 12

private henry walsh
« on: December 06, 2007, 10:24:22 PM »
hi
I have posted before about private henry walsh 27505 manchester regiment, I have henrys pension records this gives his attestment date as 12 july 1915, would this he have been conscripted on this date, rather than re-enlisted,
another puzzle is that it says he has already served for 10 months before that date, that to me seems like from the outbreak of war and then its says he was discharged medically unfit, can anyone make an educated guess what all this means. could for example he have been at gallipoli and been wounded and discharged, his family says he was there but its not on his record.
I have attached the part of the record that says this
I will be most grateful for any ideas
regards
margaret

liverpool annie

Re: private henry walsh
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 10:44:29 PM »

Hi Margaret !

I don't have an answer to your question I'm afraid but I wonder if he signed up to serve in the British Army in August 1914 - although he was a miner and therefore exempt from conscription - he opted to enlist anyways ......... !

Annie  :)

Fritz Bayer

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 11:44:09 PM »
There was no conscription until 1916 anyway so he either volunteered or was a reservist (though he'd have probably gone into one of the reg battalions for that 10 months if he was the latter). Have you checked for his MiC? The form states previous service in the 12/Mancs which only went overseas for the first time in July 1915 so he won't have seen any active service with them. 10 months service also makes it a pretty short amount of time between his discharge on medical grounds and his re-enlistment (1 month max.?). Perhaps it was more of a transfer to a "less demanding" role in the reserve battalion?

Dave
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 11:51:58 PM by Fritz Bayer »

maggie 12

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 12:24:31 AM »
Hi annie and dave
thanks for the reply, I have posted henry mic, nothing much on it, his service record gives his wounds as october 1916, no mention of the first 10 months apart from the line in the attestation section,
the transfer to less demanding role fits as it states at the top reinlisting for home service only, he later fought in the somme and ypres. so it didnt work out that way
thankyou for your advice
margaret

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 03:13:00 AM »
re-enlisting for home service only,that sounds like hes a territorial,i dont think a  regular soldier has a choice in where he serves,but in 1914,a terrier DID.

mack

Fritz Bayer

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 09:19:57 PM »
re-enlisting for home service only,that sounds like hes a territorial,i dont think a  regular soldier has a choice in where he serves,but in 1914,a terrier DID.

mack

Personally, after looking at his attestation papers, I don't think the "home service" clause was a personal choice. More likely a case of the result of the medical down-gradement that resulted in his discharge from the 12th Bn.

Dave

maggie 12

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 10:56:53 PM »
thanks everyone for your help,
putting together your replies, I hope I have correctly understood that

henry enlisted at the outbreak of war
for some reason he was declared medically unfit,
he then either re-enlisted almost immediately or was transfered to home service only.
he then served in france and was wounded at the battle of somme in october 1916
he didn't serve in gallipoli

please correct me if Ive got it wrong.

many thanks
margaret

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 10:19:18 PM »
i will ask Roy if there is any further info on the medal rolls, it may give us some insight into any previous battalion  ;)

chris
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 06:29:18 PM »
Medal roll info:

27505 Pte H.Walsh 17th Battalion Manch Regt. He was only awarded the British War Medal & Victory Medal, this means he moved overseas after 1st Jan 1916.