Author Topic: Odd Manchester Regiment Badge?  (Read 4035 times)

whizzbang

Odd Manchester Regiment Badge?
« on: August 26, 2009, 12:34:40 AM »
Help please!

Below are some pics of a Manchester badge I recently purchased on e-bay. I thought is was a bi-metal Pals badge but it is actually all white metal - even the scroll at the bottom. Now I look at it hands on, it certainly looks the age but the broken slider looks like part of the main badge (cast??) - certainly doesn't look like brass - and the scroll attachment when viewed from the front looks like a continuous part of the main badge (again, could this have been cast??).

Thanks for any help!

Ian.

Offline sphinx

Re: Odd Manchester Regiment Badge?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 07:36:29 PM »
Ian,

This is a non-voided, bi-metal cap badge of the Manchester Regiment issued during WW1.

It is not a Pals Badge.

It has had the rear slider cut off, nickel plated and a tie pin brooch fitted as a kind of sweetheart badge.

As a result the value has been reduced from £40 to £5 - £10.

regards

whizzbang

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 10:22:54 PM »
Hi Simon - thanks for your response. Ah well, live and learn, eh! Cheers, Ian.

Neil Pearce

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 02:25:50 PM »
Hi All.  I'm new here and have spent a while browsing around.  Fantastic site...

I've attached a couple of badges I have.  Is the non-voided one a Pals badge?  I think not as it's bi-metal?

Is it possible to date the "officers" badge?

Thanks!

Neil

Offline sphinx

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 04:08:52 PM »
Neil,

You are correct, it is not a Pals badge but it is a non-voided type typically produced during the Great War, I can only assume as an economy measure to speed up the manufacturing process.

The Silver/Gilt Officers badge was in use from 1898 - 1923 on undress forage caps.

regards