Author Topic: 21092 Arthur Heath corporal 22nd Bn Manchester Reg  (Read 12379 times)

AndyB

Re: 21092 Arthur Heath corporal 22nd Bn Manchester Reg
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2009, 10:47:28 AM »
hiya andy
best i can do mate

cpl 21092 arthur heath
landed in france,12-11-15
killed in action 1-7-16
aged 29
born withington ab 1887
lived at 24 ogden st,hulme
married with three children
son of ellen heath and the late william,12 pownall st hulme
worked at charles macintosh+company
hes on their roll of honour

mack ;D

Mack - where does the info about address and Mum and Dad come from please as this is really confusing me.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2009, 08:32:59 PM »
hiya andy
best i can do mate

cpl 21092 arthur heath
landed in france,12-11-15
killed in action 1-7-16
aged 29
born withington ab 1887
lived at 24 ogden st,hulme
married with three children
son of ellen heath and the late william,12 pownall st hulme
worked at charles macintosh+company
hes on their roll of honour

mack ;D

Mack - where does the info about address and Mum and Dad come from please as this is really confusing me.
hiya andy.
i got the parents and their address,from the census,but 24 ogden st,was from the casualty rolls

mack ;D

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2009, 03:46:58 PM »
hi andy

sorry for my late entry into this thread ;D

the platoon photo and listing is from the 'pals' book of honour' i can do you a better quality photo if you so wish

cheers

chris
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2009, 03:47:22 PM »
the objectives of the 22nd battalion that day were Bunny Ally and Fritz trench, which were northeast  of Mametz,

the 22nd's start point was roughly southeast, they left the trenches at 7.30, the map below is just to give you a rough idea of where they were starting from and going to. the divisional objective was Mametz it's self

B and D coys in front and C and A coys following, although taking heavy casualties they achieved their first objectives , Black Trench fell, then Bucket trench, however, they were losing contact with the creeping barrage and as the moved forward they suffered more and more casualties, they took Danzig Alley but couldn't hold on to it as they german defenders emerged from their bunkers and manned their machine guns. They fell back and the attack had stalled.

however a further bombardment and the sight of german defenders streaming away from the successful attack on Montauban meant the division could move forward and take Mametz . The 2nd Queens moved into Danzig Alley and drove the defenders out, 'bombing' them as they moved along the trench. this allowed the attack to move forward again and the 22nd with elements of the 21st battn as reinforcements were in Danzig Alley by late afternoon

AndyB

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2009, 07:52:37 PM »
Hi harribobs
Yes please I would love a better quality photo. Thank you.

The map is really interesting and really begins to put into context what they all had to go through. Thank you again.

AndyB

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2009, 07:13:36 PM »
Ok I now have my Great Granddad's entry of birth.

7th March 1887 at 12 Pownall Street to William and Ellen Heath (Nee Clarke)
His dad is a stoker in the Gas works and Ellen couldn't write as she made a mark.
He was not registered until 5th April.

I think I will have to search out what the records say about his wedding as this is the bit causing the problem.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 07:29:55 PM by AndyB »

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2009, 10:39:35 PM »
opps a little late

click on the photo for bigger, right click and save

chris

AndyB

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2009, 10:46:06 PM »
Thanks Chris.

AndyB

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2010, 10:06:09 PM »
OK after a lot of research I have found more info on my Great Granddad. His parents weren't William and Ellen. He was born in Withington workhouse as Arthur Howard in 1881. His mum Mary Ellen Howard moved in with here mother Ann Molloy (Howard) and step father James Molloy and this is recorded in the 1881 census. He lived at 3 Back Hawthorn Street, Ardwick. Some. In 1891 his mother had married Charles Fredrick Heath, a confectioner on Blackfriars Street. In 1901 he is a barman in the Birmingham Arms, Birmingham and is single. He then married Emily Carter a widow. He is not on the 1911 census but we believe he was at sea in the merchant navy. His family of two children and his wife lived at 3 Rosamond terrace with her brother and family.