Author Topic: Casualty sheets  (Read 7470 times)

robey

Casualty sheets
« on: August 01, 2009, 02:35:25 PM »
I've seen the odd reference to Casualty Sheets.  How does one find out if a particular person is mentioned on, or has a, casualty sheet?  Can they be cross-referenced in some way.

Thanks
Robey

Online mack

• Global Moderator
Re: Casualty sheets
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 04:54:54 PM »
hiya robey.
all servicemen have a casualty sheet in their service records,it gives their name,rank,number,religion,date of enlistment and sometimes their occupation
sometimes an address is mentioned
the sheet is then made out,with his date of embarkation+disembarkation,followed by any admissions to casualty clearing stations,field ambulance,hospitals etc,usually gives the type of wound or sickness,any postings or transfers are also listed,and their date of death, discharge or POW.
its the most important page in his records,cos it has a lot of detailed info on it.

mack ;D

robey

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 05:10:32 PM »
Wow, that's great info.  Where does one get one's hands on a serviceman's CS?  I'd really like to find my grand-father's.

Thanks Mack.

robey

Online mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 06:52:14 PM »
Wow, that's great info.  Where does one get one's hands on a serviceman's CS?  I'd really like to find my grand-father's.

Thanks Mack.

robey
it will be in his service record,if it survived the blitz in WW2

mack

robey

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 08:19:54 AM »
OK, thank you.  I think a trip to Kew is called for.

Online mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 07:14:47 PM »
OK, thank you.  I think a trip to Kew is called for.
hiya rob
theres no need to go to kew,here ya go mate

pte 91076 albert,james newbury
enlisted 29-1-17 at manchester
aged 26
machine gun corps
occupation,vulcaniser
married miss alice godbert at st.ambrose church,salford,on 5-8-14
daughter alice,born 1-7-15,ada born 16-11-16,herbert born 1922
28 valencia st,kersal
in training at the machine gun school,grantham,left on 16-7-17,joined the 5th MG battalion at chepstow
embarked for basra,on 20-9-17 and posted to 131st MG coy
admitted to 30th casualty clearing station[sick] on 17-3-18,discharged on 20-3-18
3-5-18 embarked at magil,on the troopship KASGHAR,bound for haifa
posted to 3rd[lahore]MG battalion,A coy on 17-5-18
14-10-18 admitted to 111th canadian field ambulance[flu]discharged from the 33rd casualty clearing station,on 21-10-18
6-11-18 admitted to 78th gen hospital[flu]discharged and rejoined his battalion,on 28-11-18
demobbed 21-1-1920

mack ;D
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 07:32:25 PM by mack »

robey

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 09:51:56 PM »
Hi Mack

I'm so grateful for this information.  Could I check two points that you list.  Firstly, are you saying he enlisted with the Manchesters on 29/1/17, or straight into the MGC?  I assume the former, given the photograph which seems to be a Manchesters cap insignia rather than MGC.

Secondly, and you can't imagine how important this is to me, you mention Herbert born in 1922.  For the avoidance of my doubt, you are saying this is his son, correct?  If so, is it reasonable to assume that Alice Godbert was the mother?  What is the significance of the address of 28 Valencia Street, Kersal?

It is no exaggeration to say that your information is clearing up a mystery that goes back to the 1920s and has been stumping many people, including me, for very many years.

Many thanks
Robey
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 10:12:32 PM by robey »

Online mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 10:58:08 PM »
hiya rob
valencia st was were he resided.
herberts mothers maiden name.was godbert,ime assuming its albert+alices lad
i think he may have been in the manchesters originally,i will see what i can find

mack ;D

robey

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 11:06:00 PM »
Yes, it fits that he is the issue of Alice but it's a bit of a surprise that the other half was Albert.  Presumably Herbert would only appear on Albert's record if he was indeed his son.

Can you tell at what point he resided at Valencia Street - when he enlisted or when he was de-mobbed?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 11:08:02 PM by robey »

Online mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 11:07:03 PM »
found it rob.
he first enlisted,on 24-6-16 in the 8th manchesters,but didnt go overseas with them,he then joined the MGC,on 29-1-17
his manchester regt number,was 7440

mack ;D

robey

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 11:11:03 PM »
That's odd.  The photo I posted with the subject "Possible Regiment photograph" is dated Feb 2 1917, which would be after he joined the MGC.  Maybe he "hung around" a while!

Online mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 11:12:43 PM »
Yes, it fits that he is the issue of Alice but it's a bit of a surprise that the other half was Albert.  Presumably Herbert would only appear on Albert's record if he was indeed his son.

Can you tell at what point he resided at Valencia Street - when he enlisted or when he was de-mobbed?
herbert wont appear on alberts record,he had left the army before any more children were born,he enlisted from valencia st,and thats his address,on demob
is there some doubt about herbert being alberts lad

mack ;D

Online mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 11:20:15 PM »
That's odd.  The photo I posted with the subject "Possible Regiment photograph" is dated Feb 2 1917, which would be after he joined the MGC.  Maybe he "hung around" a while!
its not uncommon,for a soldier to still be badged up to his former regt,he was under training with the MG corps at that time,he wont be badged up with the MGC,till hes passed his course.

mack ;D

robey

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 11:24:20 PM »
How did you know about Herbert then, if it wasn't on Albert's service record?

To date, there has been doubt over who was Herbert's father, however, he was raised by his mother.

Herbert is dead by the way. He was my Uncle, though I never knew him.

Online mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 12:16:04 AM »
How did you know about Herbert then, if it wasn't on Albert's service record?

To date, there has been doubt over who was Herbert's father, however, he was raised by his mother.

Herbert is dead by the way. He was my Uncle, though I never knew him.
hiya rob.
i was double checking the year of birth in the births records,for one of alberts children and i noticed that herberts mother was also called godbert.

mack ;D