Author Topic: hughes  (Read 3977 times)

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
hughes
« on: August 20, 2009, 03:17:22 AM »
robert/george
a pal of mine who i work with,is enquiring about a yosser hughes,who served with the manchesters in malaya,he was born+bred in hulme,do you remember him,he was a big gentle giant,always smiling.

mack ;D

Offline george.theshed197

• sadly no longer with us
Re: hughes
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 09:28:50 AM »
Summat went wrong there - lost my email.
Hi Mack,
Yosser Hughes, Dibber Hughes, Taffy Hughes + a couple of other Hughes. Yosser was not a big lad - at best 5ft 3 or thereabouts, used to box at light welter I think for the Bn. I first met him at Wuppertal 1949 when he was Groom in charge of Bn Stables, later he returned to SP Company and became Mortar Platoon Sgt in Malaya, ultimately retired as W.O.II. and is currently Chairman of the Preston Branch of the OCA living in Preston but may have moved recently to the Southport area. There was also Dibber HUGHES, a Mancunian, now he was a 'big, gentle giant,' he too was in the Mortar Platoon, became a Sgt retired to Ashton u Lyne but developed diabetes and died in February 1993 . Taffy Hughes definitely did not come from Manchester , he spent most of his service wit th QM's branch as Ration Sgt. I also have vague recollections of two Hughes in my Platoon (6 B Coy Malaya) neither of which were known as Yosser to the best of my knowledge and both remained as Privates for the whole of their NS days.
So there could also have been others of whom I have no knowledge elsewhere in the Bn.
Not much help there.
Cheers.
George.

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 01:07:49 PM »
Hi Mack,
Thought that Dibber would be the one rather than Yosser- photograph should be attached, Dibber is third from the right in the back row. Fingers crossed.
Cheers.
George.

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 01:13:48 PM »
Success !!,
That photograph was taken at the large Tin Mine at Klian Intan in Northern Malaya around about 1951, we had a 3" Mortar Detachment based there permanently to give us supporting backup fire-power if needed. Sgt Colin Taylor(to left of  Dibber  if my memory serves me right) was the detachment commander there with Dibber his 2 i/c. Colin was later severely wounded in the face in the ambush in which L/Cpl Fitzpatrick was killed and was ultimately shipped home and following recovery was discharged. He still lives in Bolton and I last saw him on my recent trip back to Manchester at the Turning of the Leaves.
Enjoy, George.
PS.Will have a look to see if I have any other snaps of him.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 12:52:03 AM »
cheers george.
i will show my mate,when he comes back on shift on saturday.

mack ;D