Author Topic: looking for anyone who might know my grandfather  (Read 6215 times)

Shadow6654

looking for anyone who might know my grandfather
« on: May 10, 2009, 10:36:40 PM »
Hi, I'm looking to find my Grandfather's regiment, if i remember correctly he was in 1 manchester battalion in Malaya. He was an armoured car driver, his name is David Noblett. When i get more information, il post it, but any help is much appreciated

Shadow6654

Re: looking for anyone who might know my grandfather
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 10:38:18 PM »
he also served in Germany at Spandau Prison

Offline rafboy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 01:46:08 PM »
Hi Shadow
Take a look in the "Photos By Battalion" section and go to the Far East Photos and Photos from Germany there are quite a few of my photos from both places including the 1st Bn taking over guard duty from the Americans at Spandau Jail.
Cliff
Cliff P Son of 3525679 Sgt Arthur Phillips 1st Bn Manchester Regiment and RAPC

Offline george.theshed197

• sadly no longer with us
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 06:52:03 PM »
Hi Shadow 6654,
If your Grandfather did the Spandau Guard in 1950/51 he must have been in 'B' Company 1st Bn The Manchester Regiment. I was on that duty but for the life of me cannot recall his  name in the company. In Malaya the 'B' Coy. Armoured (Scout) Car Driver was Charlie Sheffield whilst the Armoured 3 Tonner (commonly referred to as either 'The Coffin' or more often than not just 'The Pig') referred to by Cliff in the run up to Slim School was driven by Bert Blundell.
Hopefully when you have more specific information I might be able to help you.
George.

Shadow6654

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 09:14:52 AM »
I have his records in front of me, but i can't read the chickenscratch of the Commanding Officer *if he reads this, no offense* :) If I read this right he was in Malaya from 17.2.'53 to 24.5.5'4 with BAOR, British Army On the Rhine? from 7.9.'54 to 5.9.'55. I'm hoping to find any surviving members from his unit, unfortunately he died last week. I'm pretty sure he had said he was in 1 Bn. I would still like to find any remaining members. Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 08:37:26 PM by Shadow6654 »

Shadow6654

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 09:50:31 AM »
By the way, his # was 22717578 if that might help anymore and he was an armoured scout car driver, i'm not sure if he drove anything else as that's all i can remember at the moment.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 09:58:57 AM by Shadow6654 »

Offline george.theshed197

• sadly no longer with us
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 07:33:21 PM »
Apologies for not picking up on your update sooner,
He joined B Company long after I had left it so he could very well have replaced Charlie Sheffield by then as Scout Car Driver and in Berlin I was no longer in a Rifle Company having been routed into HQ for an admin job for the duration of our tour in Berlin. On arrival in Minden early 1956 I went to Charlie Company, hence the reasons for his name being unfamiliar to me. There should be still plenty of the B Coy blokes still around who would have known him, try contacting the MVA through the Ardwick Office for the dates of their meetings and bob along and introduce yourself,
Regards,
George.

Shadow6654

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 07:41:48 AM »
I live in Squamish, Canada, how might I get ahold of the Ardwick office from here? or any of the remaining B company guys on here?