Author Topic: Borneo Headhunters  (Read 136766 times)

Offline rizalbob

Re: Borneo Headhunters
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2009, 11:59:49 AM »
Dear George,

Terima kasih Apai Tuai George (literally meaning "old (tuai) father (apai) George" but the Ibans used it to address their elders with respect).
Just like the Indonesians who address their leaders/elders as "Bapak /father". Even their President is Bapak.

I'll enquire around when I go down to Kuala Lumpur next which is 4 hours drive from my home in Taiping, Perak.

God bless.

Rizal

Offline rizalbob

« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2009, 12:05:04 PM »
By the way George, is that the Malacca Straits in the background of the picture? Wasn't that the Segenting Camp?

Rizal

Offline george.theshed197

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2009, 02:11:00 PM »
Hi again Rizal,
Yes indeed, I was trying to remember the name of the camp and for the life of me couldn't but that is definitely the Malacca Straits in the background, a wonderful beach, the biggest danger being the coconuts in season when 'battle-bowlers 'had to be worn to avoid split skulls.
Many thanks for the greetings, must try to remember that for the future.
No doubt I will take some ribbing when the others have read this, however, such is the prerogative of age.
I spent some time at the BMH Taiping whilst doing my promotion examinations (1st Class Cert.) c. 1951 and in the late afternoon we used to drive out to the 'Blue-Hole' I believe it was called, a swimming pool created by damming up one of the mountain streams, following which a nice meal with a few beers in one of the restaurants nearby, Happy days indeed despite the circumstances.
By the way I think we have six of our boys buried in the Taiping Cemetery from 19th June 1952 -
Pte. J. GRADY. ; Pte. W. BAILLIE.; Pte. T. ARRANDS.; Pte. M. HARRISON.; Pte R. SMITH. & Pte T. TRAYNOR.  Should you get the time and opportunity I would appreciate the chance of photographs of their graves for this site please.

George.

Offline rizalbob

« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2009, 02:52:26 PM »
That pool still exist. It is called Burmese Pool. I used to go there once a while with my family. It is a popular spot during  weekends. There are also 4 Rangers buried in the same Kamunting Christian Cemetry. Yes, I definitely will go and take some photographs when I return from Kuching, Sarawak on the 1st week of August.

Rizal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2009, 07:39:43 PM »
Dear Rizal,
Terima kasih adda banyak banyak for the proposed grave photographs. I have already sent you three more by PM and will now attempt to get one of them at least onto this site for all to see what the badge really looked like.
Fingers crossed yet again.
George.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 07:41:33 PM by george.theshed197 »

Offline rizalbob

« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2009, 08:59:15 PM »
Dear George,

It looks very similar to the present cap badge worn by the present Royal Malaysian Rangers - Malayan kriss and Iban parang Ilang (sword) crossed and with a three-coloured backing. Thanks George.

Rizal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2009, 11:35:12 AM »
Morning Rizal,
Glad to hear that there has been little if any change in the design of the Badge, my apologies for saying crossed kriss' instead of Kriss and Parang Ilang.
Before I forget, the PM I sent to you has come back to me this morning 'Undeliverable' - I had just sent it to the email address in your profile for this site.
Will continue my searching for items that may be of interest to you.
Take care,
George.

Offline Robert Bonner

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2009, 12:13:37 PM »
Dear Rizal,
I'm having difficulty in getting a good reproduction from a photo of two of the Ibans who served with D Company at Terap in 1952. But in the meantime their names, to the best of my knowledge, were Rejap anak Bagi and Sakarok Rantau Panjai.
Best wishes.
Robert

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2009, 10:17:18 AM »
Selemat Datai Rizal,
I trust that you will have a safe and successful journey to Kuching in the next day or so and look forward to hearing from you on your return home. As yet I have had no success whatsoever in my search for the old original sign off my office door, it has got to be in the house somewhere.
Take care,
Apai Tuai George.

Offline rizalbob

« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2009, 11:59:46 AM »
Dear Apai Tuai George,

I came back from Kuching on night 30/31 July and had to rush to Kuala Lumpur to attend a function officiated by our Prime Minister in honouring all the bravery award recipients (those still alive), including those awarded by Britain during the First Emergency 1948 - 1960.

The monthly allowance of our equivalent of a VC, Seri Pahlawan Gagah Perkasa (SP) was increased from RM400 to RM2000.00 /about 340 pounds, our Panglima Gagah Berani, equivalent of the MC was increased from RM300 to RM1500.
Likewise recipients of the MC and MM were also given the monthly allowance. You can read it from my blog http://pgbwarrior.blogspot.com/

The only GC receipient of the Malayan Emergency, Tracker Awang anak Rawing is still alive and he received RM2000 monthly allowance beside the one he still receive from Britain. Tracker Menggong anak Panggit who was awarded a George Medal, however, had passed on a few years back.

Rizal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2009, 09:49:30 AM »
Selemat Datai Rizal,
Congratulations on your increase in RM!! I read your blog and was impressed as always by the photographs included therein, what a chase around you must have had.
I was very busy in the garden yesterday preparing and making a new 'raised bed' for growing some vegetables this coming winter and next year and also clearing an area for a greenhouse we will be erecting in the near future so the old back is groaning and aching  somewhat this morning but will soon wear off when I start working again. More heavy rains are being forecast for the next few days so I must get the job finished or at least almost finished today so that I don't make too much mud in that spot which would bake hard in the next lot of sunshine - that is assuming we are going to get some.
Will email you again later today, meanwhile take care,
Apai Tuai George.

Offline rizalbob

« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2009, 07:57:21 AM »
Dear Apai Tuai George,

Gardening? I like gardening too. Just love to see what I plant, grow beautifully. Somehow, I have problem with the soil in my backyard. It is not fertile enough and my plants don't seem to grow well, despite using organic fertilizers and mixing it with soil I bought from the nurseries here.

I plant assorted plants - mostly edible fruits and vegetables.

Any tips?

Apai Rizal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2009, 06:41:13 PM »
Dear Apai Rizal,
If I remember rightly Taiping had a reputation similar to that of Manchester in the north where I was born and grew up in that it rained quite a lot and that is most likely the cause of your soil problem, any nutrients in it are being washed out (leached) so it would seem that what you would need would be large quantities of good manure, preferably from a stable to build up the organic content and thus hopefully overcome the problem.
I often think back and remember the usual edible plants being grown in a relatively small area of practically every garden it seemed to me and at meal times fresh herbs etc were being gathered to use in the evening meals to produce all those wonderful flavours, now my mouth is watering at the mere thought of it. I saw a programme on the TV the other evening with Rick Stein on his travels around Thailand and Malaysia and my mouth watered at his every step. Hey ho.
Still no trace of that door sign I had, we have one last area to search, under the eaves where we store quite a lot of items that are no longer in use but we just cannot bear to throw them away.
Real hoarders. Not a lot of news from here currently, very dull and overcast with the chance of some rain, hopefully tomorrow after I have had my haircut I shall be back at work in the gardeb again finishing of where I started yesterday, Take care.

Apai Tuai George.

saumua

« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2009, 11:18:02 AM »
Final attempt to post this photograph of Cpl. Adrian, he is seated extreme right hand side of the front row and in case you don't recognise me I am sat second from the left front row, the Manchester Regiment Officer was 2/Lt. Schwarz, the Bn I.O. at that time.
George.

I have this photo in my collection with all the names. Do you have the naming too or do you want me to post it?

Shaun

Offline rizalbob

« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2009, 01:01:55 PM »
Dear Shaun,

Appreciate if you could name all the personnels in the photographs (for both the 1st and the 2nd platoons of the Sarawak Rangers)

Thank you.

Rizal