Author Topic: Manchester visit (at last!)  (Read 2123 times)

Offline John W

Manchester visit (at last!)
« on: June 02, 2009, 09:45:46 PM »
Hello all,
I've not been on for as while as I've been a bit busy with other projects! However, I'll be in Manchester from this Sunday evening, going back down south (boo!) on Weds. I intend to visit the museum + the barracks main gate. If anyone fancies meeting up please drop me a PM.

Cheers,

John
In memory of my great grandfather: 9671 Pte Joseph Percy Rothwell, Manchester Regiment (Boer War, Mons, Le Cateau, PoW, Home Guard) & his father, 1090 Pte Joseph Rothwell, 12th (The Prince of Wales's) Royal Regiment of Lancers 1871-1882.

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
Re: Manchester visit (at last!)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 10:46:04 PM »
Yahhee ! John a visit up north !!!

Let us know how you get on !

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

timberman

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 11:14:52 PM »
Hi John

Ardwick Green is worth a visit, there is the Barracks and the memorial to the 8th Bn on the green it self.

There is a bit of a shop at the barracks, I think the lady is only there in the mornings you can get the number from the museum.
Have a great time.

Timberman

Offline John W

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 01:35:33 PM »
Well my visit was well worth it! I found two mentions of my GGF in the Oldham Chronicle which I have copies of, several eye witness accounts of men who'd fought at Le Cateau from Tameside Archives, newspaper cuttings from the 1st Bn in Singapore/India as well as a good trawl through the Regimental Gazette in the Public Library which revealed many interesting snippets. Also visited the gate at Ladysmith Bks and the museum. The last thing I tracked down was the street that he lived in in Ashton when he enlisted which is still there although not all of the houses are still standing.
In memory of my great grandfather: 9671 Pte Joseph Percy Rothwell, Manchester Regiment (Boer War, Mons, Le Cateau, PoW, Home Guard) & his father, 1090 Pte Joseph Rothwell, 12th (The Prince of Wales's) Royal Regiment of Lancers 1871-1882.