Author Topic: Burma Conflict  (Read 4660 times)

grahambb3

Burma Conflict
« on: May 30, 2009, 11:42:34 AM »
Hi everyone, new to this site, i am just doing some research on my Grandad and was hoping maybe someone might be able to give me a helping hand.

My grandad's name was Norman Fenton, he served in the Manchester Regiment, enlisting on the 15th of August 1940 and released on the 23rd of March 1946.

He was awarded the Burma Star and from reading his records, he had handwritten down the names of 3 towns, 2 in India and one in Bangladesh.  the names are Poona, Chittagong and Dehradun.

All i can find from his records is that he was in the Manchester Regiment but not what part of the regiment.  He was from Darwen, just outside of Blackburn.  there is a record on file saving he come down with Malaria on the 1st of June 1944 and was at the Indian Threatre of War (Burma) but i cannot make out the lieut's signature which could have given me something to go on.

What i want to establish is what battles he fought in, all i remember him telling me was that he was a machine gunner but he didnt talk too much about the war, for obvious reasons!

If anyone knows of him or can give me something to go on or somewhere that where i can go to, to get some info i would really appreciate it.

thanks for taking the time to read this.

regards
Graham

What i am trying to find out is what conflicts he fought in during WWII

Offline george.theshed197

• sadly no longer with us
Re: Burma Conflict
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 01:22:30 PM »
Hi there Graham,
Welcome to the forum, you will no doubt hear from many others in the next few days who have far greater knowledge of this theatre but from what I have read in your email I would say that your Grandfather was with the 2nd Battalion in India and Burma. Lt. Col. Rex King-Clark's book The Battle for Kohima available from the Museum of the Manchester Regiment in Ashton-under-lyne should give you plenty of information to enlighten you as to some of the conditions and events that he would have taken part in and encountered during his service with that Bn.
One of the fhe first things you are going to be asked for will be further information such as his Regimental/Army number so that you can be advised further as to how you may be able to get hold of his service records.
Meanwhile enjoy the Index,
Cheers,
George.

Offline tonyrod

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 09:36:31 PM »
hi graham, and welcome to the forum. i agree with george, and  if you google kohima there is  lots of info to find also.  all the best with your search. tonyrod

grahambb3

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 07:51:43 PM »
Hi - a belated thank you for the messages above. 

I am looking at getting his war records, where do i need to apply for these and what information will I need?

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 09:02:46 AM »
Hi Graham,

This link explains all you need to know to obtain his service record

How to Obtain a Service Record

Good Luck !

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline Robert Bonner

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 10:16:41 AM »

George mentioned in an earlier message that you should read Rex King-Clark's book The Battle for Kohima.

Unfortunately this is long out of print but you should obtain a copy of his second book on the Burma campaign and the part that 2nd Manchesters played in it which is Forward from Kohima.  This is available from the  regimental museum:
http://www.tameside.gov.uk/museumsgalleries/mom.

An essential read for anyone whose relatives served with the Manchesters in Burma.
Robert

grahambb3

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 07:19:50 PM »
Hi

thanks Wendi and Robert.  Appreciate both links, I will definitely have to get both.

What I want to be certain of is that he was a machine gunner, I am certain that is what he told me when I was younger.  Will that be confirmed in his Service Record?

I am after getting a tattoo, a combination of his burma star, the vickers machine gun (Once I know for certain he was a machine gunner) and the epitaph at Kohima (again once i know for absolute certainty he fought in that battle)

from reading his records and the account of the batter on the tameside website, it does sound v likely he did fight, as in mentions the problems of mosquitos in May time, and the letter saying he is dangerous ill in the hospital was dated 1st June. 

Speaking of tattoos too, he had all his tattoos done in the army.  The one i remember was a large popeye tattoo he had on the inside of his right forearm.  Was this some weird personal choice, or something to do with the regiment?  I have an excellent photo of him in his uniform and i am also thinking of getting that tattoo'd in the same place (i really cant get a popeye!!)  ;D

Also, on photographs - there are some brilliant pictures on this forum from the wars.  Lets hope more keep being posted.  Can anyone tell me how I can upload my photo of my grandad onto the site?  when i click the 'add picture' button, it just gives me some html.  how do i embed it?

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 08:09:18 PM »
Graham ! perhaps this link will help with attaching the photo http://themanchesters.org/forum/index.php?topic=682.0

I think because of his age, the tattoo had much to do with the popularity of Popeye as a figure of strength. 

You will have to research the history of Popeye on the internet to understand  ;)

Wendi
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 02:50:43 PM »
photo uploaded as requested  ;D

click for bigger image
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."