Author Topic: John Mahoney, 2nd Bn Singapore, Changhi, Burma Railway  (Read 6714 times)

Nick_in_Barnsley

John Mahoney, 2nd Bn Singapore, Changhi, Burma Railway
« on: May 27, 2009, 11:11:15 AM »
Hi guys

I just wondered where I could go to get more info on my Grandad. He was liberated from the Philipines and came back via the US on the Queen Mary. I understand that the Yanks treated them like heroes - when back in the UK the War Office told them not to talk about it.

I also understand that all ex-POWs were debriefed about their time in captivity - do these records still exist? If so any idea how I can get hold of them?

Cheers

Nick

Offline rafboy

• Global Moderator
Re: John Mahoney, 2nd Bn Singapore, Changhi, Burma Railway
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 04:08:37 PM »
Hi Nick
The National Archive at Kew holds Japanese POW Record Cards for about 50,000 men and Liberation Questionnaires completed by the men that survived when they returned home.  The reference of the location in Kew for the Liberation Questionnaires is WO344/391/1.  See the posting by Roy (themonsstar) at  http://themanchesters.org/forum/index.php?topic=2639.msg18370#msg18370
The POW Record Cards are in WO345.

Can you let us have a little more detail on your Grandfather such as his service number and rank.  I noticed you have him as 2nd Battalion but it was The 1st Battalion that was captured in Singapore by the Japanese.

Have you any photographs of your Grandfather that you could share with us?
Cliff 
Cliff P Son of 3525679 Sgt Arthur Phillips 1st Bn Manchester Regiment and RAPC

Offline rafboy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 04:15:09 PM »
Nick
Have a read of Roys posting re POW Record Cards, Para 6 refers to Japanese POW's.  It is at http://themanchesters.org/forum/index.php?topic=1118.msg7490#msg7490  There is more detail at http://themanchesters.org/forum/index.php?topic=2637.0
Cliff
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 04:17:24 PM by rafboy »

Offline rafboy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 04:28:12 PM »
Nick
Go to the Photo Section. Photos and Postcards by Battalion then Far East Photos then Changi And Pictures From The Far East (Note the correct spelling of Changi).  Go to page 2 and scroll down and you will find two photos of groups of POW's which were taken somewhere in Singapore shortly after capture.  The few men identified so far are all 1st Bn Manchester Regiment men, you just may find your grandfather amongst them, let me know if you do please.
If you cannot enlarge these so that the faces are clear I can send you higher resolution copies direct, let me know if you want them.
Cliff

Offline tonyrod

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 08:29:29 PM »
HI NICK, CHECK THIS SITE , http://www.fepow-community.org.uk/
hope it helps, tonyrod

Nick_in_Barnsley

Re: John Mahoney, 1st Bn Singapore, Changhi, Burma Railway
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 02:40:30 PM »
Hi guys,

Thanks for the links and the info. Looks like I might need to wangle a trip down to Kew some time. I can't see him on the photos but it's difficult to make out with the resolution. I'd be grateful for higher resolution copies thanks Cliff and I'll go over them with my mother. Email address removed. Cliff.

I don't have a service number for John Jnr (his father, also John Mahoney, was a CSM in the Manchesters during WWI) and I was obviously wrong on the Bn number. I can't remember when he said he went out to Singapore; it was either before the war or very early on and he felt very frustrated being in the 'quiet backwater' of Singapore when France was being overrun. He was the kindest man I ever met; he forgave and was never bitter.

Incidentally he was a boxer and cricketer (I think for the Bn) so I suppose if there are any pre or early war photos of sports teams/matches he may be on there.

I am particularly interested in his liberation form as it was only at his funeral that his brother mentioned that he'd been told by some of his former comrades that he'd tried to organise an escape while captured. I can't see that this would have got anywhere but I'd be interested to see if there was anything in it. Although he didn't dwell on the horrors I do know that when two officers tried to escape the camp were paraded to watch them be executed.

John was a corporal. My mother has a few bits and pieces so I'll see what I can find by way of photos but I don't recall seeing a photo of him in uniform (although he found it highly amusing when I was in the scouts that I wore a beret with the Manchester Regt cap badge).

My uncle (John's brother) also has a 'box' with odds and sods relating to John Snr and possibly some stuff on John Jnr. I'm going to visit some time in the next couple of months so anything that may help research into the Manchester Regt I'll be sure to post.

Cheers all,

Nick
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 05:12:03 PM by rafboy »

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 07:01:26 PM »
Hi Nick !

Have you considered applying to obtain his service record from the MOD?  it's available to next of kin for �30 and you would have to have his death certificate?

Wendi  :)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 09:20:47 PM by timberman »
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Nick_in_Barnsley

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 10:09:21 AM »
Cheers Wendi - I mentioned that to my mother and she's going to apply.

Nick

Nick_in_Barnsley

Re: John Mahoney, 1st Bn Singapore, Changhi, Burma Railway
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 10:12:35 AM »
Cliff

Thanks for sending the high resolution photos - incredible detail and really quite moving to think what these men were to face as captivity went on. My Grandad isn't there I'm sad to say, but it was strange to think that some of his mates probably are!

Best wishes

Nick

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 11:03:14 AM »
I,v found his PoW card but he as no Q&L form. I will post the card up later, as I at the NA at the moment :P
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 10:21:15 PM by themonsstar »

Nick_in_Barnsley

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 10:42:03 PM »
Thank you so much Mons Star; there is loads on here I didn't know before (e.g. his army number). Pity I can't read Japanese!

Thanks once again,

Nick