Author Topic: Vivian Alexander Chiodetti  (Read 5199 times)

liverpool annie

Vivian Alexander Chiodetti
« on: May 27, 2009, 04:28:05 AM »

I found this young man when I was looking for sportsmen who died WW1 ! ..... does anybody know anything about him please ?

Vivian Alexander Chiodetti is believed to be the only Indian first-class cricketer to have been killed while serving in the armed forces. Born on 31 May 1905 in Rawalpindi he became a regular soldier in the British Army in 1925 and was commissioned into the Manchester Regiment in 1928. While on leave in December 1931 he made his one appearance in first-class cricket, scoring 15 and 73 for the Hyderabad Cricket Association at Secunderabad in a semi-final of the Moin-ud-Dowlah Gold Cup Tournament. From September 1938 he was attached to the Burma Defence Force, and held the rank of acting major when he was killed as he led �C� Company of the 3rd Battalion, Burma Rifles into action immediately after reaching Tavoy by ship at 1800 hours on 17 January 1942. He has no known grave and is commemorated on the Rangoon Memorial to the Missing, Burma

Annie  :)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 08:18:23 AM by timberman »

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
Re: Vivian Alexander Chiodetti
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 10:16:47 AM »
This from incommming passanger lists

Vivian Chiodetti ~ Army Officer
Port of Departure:    Brisbane, Australia
Arrival Date:    11 May 1931
Port of Arrival:    Hull, England
Ports of Voyage:    Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Fremantle, Colombo, Port Said, Malta, Southampton
Ship Name:    Hobsons Bay
Shipping Line:    Aberdeen and Commonwealth Line

I'm emailing you a cutting from The Times

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

liverpool annie

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 05:17:24 PM »

Thanks Wendi !!

Now all we need is a picture !!!!!!!!!!  ::)

PS wonder why he came from Australia ??
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 05:19:30 PM by liverpool annie »

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 06:20:54 PM »
That's my girlfriend always on the want !!!

PS wonder why he came from Australia ??
maybe he didn't fancy the slow boat from China  ;D ;D  ::)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline george.theshed197

• sadly no longer with us
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 08:20:17 PM »
Hi again,
Most likely he had been on Secondment/Attachment to Australian Commonwealth Military Forces for training purposes.
1931 had also seen the installation of the first Australian born Gov. General Sir Isaac Isaac, Maybe he had been part of a British Army GoH as the previous Gov. Gen. Viscount Stonehaven GCMG,DSO,PC,JP,DL,had formerly served with the Scottish Horse. Then again he might just have been on extended leave and fancied Australia. I note that he came home on the 'old Southern route' via Colombo.
Cheers,
George.

Offline Robert Bonner

• sadly no longer with us
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 12:02:45 PM »
On 1st October 1936 the London, Midland  and Scottish Railway Company named a locomotive of the Royal Scot class Manchester Regiment and the naming ceremony took place at Victoria Station, Manchester.

A Guard of Honour was provided by the Depot under the command of Lieutenant V A Chiodetti.
Robert

liverpool annie

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 03:03:27 AM »

Thank you George and Robert !  :D

Interesting about the train !! ..... never heard of one named after a regiment before !!  :)