Author Topic: Frank Dimond 3533865 2nd Bat / 5th Brigade  (Read 3911 times)

havacuppatea

Frank Dimond 3533865 2nd Bat / 5th Brigade
« on: May 10, 2009, 04:06:58 PM »
Hi All .... I'm a new member.

My dad, Frank Dimond, served with the Manchester's in Burma, & was extremely modest about his wartime service. I think, somewhat belatedly, that I should really discover a little about the events which cost him his youth.

All I really know is that he served with the 14th Army & was overseas, primarily is Burma, from 1941 to 1945. I've a book by Arthur Swinson called Kohima &, via a link from this site, an excellent PDF about the event, which I understand my dad was part of the relieving forces. He was not a gunner but the guy who fed the ammunition into the Vickers (?).

The only other thing I can remember is that he had Malaria twice & before, demob, was in Ormskirk Isolation Hospital for a few months.

If you guys can provide any assistance or pointers on how best to research what he got up to then I'd greatly appreciate it.

Finally, sometime in 1944, after crossing the Irrawoddy in some place called Iwothogi (?) .... he was filmed in a newsreel which my mother saw at the local picture house on Victoria Avenue Manchester ..... any idea if this still exists ( the newsreel / not the Avenue  :) ).

Finally, finally, I do have some photo's of him & his unit ... can I upload these somewhare for others to share?

Best Wishes.

Offline Robert Bonner

• Administrator
Re: Frank Dimond 3533865 2nd Bat / 5th Brigade
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 04:37:47 PM »
Welcome to the Forum.  Any connection with the 2nd Manchesters and their role with 2nd British Infantry Division in WWII is always of interest.  There are two books which you should read to appreciate exactly what your father was up to with the battalion.  The first is The Battle For Kohima which you will have to borrow through your local library lending service as it is now out of print.  The other is Forward From Kohima which you can buy from the museum in Ashton-under-Lyne.  Both were written by Lieutenant Colonel Rex King-Clark who commanded the Manchesters during the fighting in Burma and are very good reads.

Your photographs will be of great interest but I will leave it to one of our experts to tell you how to deal with them.
Robert

timberman

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 06:50:46 PM »
Hi havacuppatea

Could I have mine with one sugar please ;D

Welcome to the forum.

If you go to this link,
http://themanchesters.org/forum/index.php?board=10.0

it will take you to the photo section on the forum.

and this link tells you how to post photo's within your post.
http://themanchesters.org/forum/index.php?topic=447.0

The size of the photo can now be 800kb for one or per 4 in any one post.

Hope this helps.
Any photo's to do with the Manchester's is a real bonus, so thank-you for offering to post them.

Timberman.

timberman

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 06:57:27 PM »
Hi havacuppatea

If you go to this link, it is for the British Pathe news web site. You can search for clips on the Manchester Regiment.

You may be able to find him ???

https://www.britishpathe.com/index.html

Timberman :)

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 03:47:32 PM »
Hi havacuppatea !

You or your mother if she is still with us can apply for his service record.

How to is via this link http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/army.html

It might help to fill in a few blanks !!

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

havacuppatea

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 08:29:39 PM »
All ... .thanks for the immediate feedback - much appreciated. I'll follow the advice, & once I can dig out the photo's & get them scanned, I'll upload to the location specified.  Cheers.

havacuppatea

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 01:51:57 PM »
Photos's finally added - I hope in the correct location.  Cheers again. Barrie.

Offline tonyrod

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 05:06:33 PM »
well me coffee went cold (i dont drink tea) ;D but well worth waiting for, nice job tonyrod