Author Topic: robert henry webb  (Read 3047 times)

webb

robert henry webb
« on: May 05, 2009, 11:31:07 AM »
looking for info on my grandfather robert henry webb b 1896 kingswinford staffordshire son of henry & the late jane webb of Bradley hall Kingswinford, after the war he went to Australia that is all i know.
Was i think in the Manchester regiment no 2717 then the South Lanchashire regiment no 3493 many thanks.

Mod Comment:  please use the personal messaging service within this forum.  Email address removed to avoid spam.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 01:02:08 PM by Wendi »

Offline tonyrod

Re: robert henry webb
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 11:59:20 AM »
hi ian .and welcome to the forum , to start you off  medal card ,
 i am sure more info will be made available  later, good luck on your search. tonyrod

Medal card of Webb, Robert Henry
Corps Regiment No Rank
Manchester Regiment 2717 Private
South Lancashire Regiment 3493 Private

Date 1914-1920
Catalogue reference WO 372/21 

webb

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 12:10:25 PM »
hi thanks for info, but how can i be sure this is my robert henry webb

webb

robert henry webb
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 12:18:41 PM »
any info on robert henry webb b 1896 kingswinford staffordshire son of henry webb of Bradley Hall Kingswinford Manchester reg 2717 & South Lancashire reg 3493 have seen medal card how can i be sure this is my webb

Offline tonyrod

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 01:01:21 PM »
on the national archives, putting in  R WEBB MANCHESTER REGIMENT  only 1 comes up  WILLIAM R WEBB
put in ROBERT WEBB and again only 1 comes up   ROBERT HENRY WEBB MANCHESTER REGIMENT,so i would say its your grandfather, tonyrod

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 01:07:12 PM »
Hi Webb!

I'm attaching his MIC for you
Was i think in the Manchester regiment no 2717 then the South Lancashire regiment no 3493 many thanks.

You quoted his numbers, did they come from family sources?

what makes you think it might not be him?

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

webb

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 12:05:13 PM »
hi wendy, thanks for the card, i did see this on the PRO site, still require more proof this is my Robert Henry Webb, why if living in Staffordshire he joines the Manchesters/Lancashires, would he have given next of kin, if so how can i find this out, he must have given date of birth when joining up?
Little is known because after the war he went to Australia we donot known when he died.

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 03:55:19 PM »
unless his service record becomes available, there is very little way of proof available and 70% were lost in WW2

as for why he would join the Manchester regiment rather than a local one, if he joined after 1915 he would have had no choice as to where he was sent

chris
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."