Author Topic: what company?  (Read 2509 times)

annabelle

what company?
« on: April 22, 2009, 05:45:47 PM »
Hello again,

My granddad fought in the 2WW with the 2nd battalion of the Manchester's. I have several books and i have discovered that D company was separated from the rest of the battalion and did service elsewhere. Thus if i want to know what my granddad did in the war I need to know what company he was in. Is there a way to find out this information. I have his paybook and discharge papers but the company is not mentioned. I have ordered his service record, which i think gives the information, but as there is a long wait for these I wondered if there was another way?

Thanks, Annabelle

Offline tonyrod

Re: what company?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 06:49:27 PM »
HI ANNABELLE, i cannot help you with his company but the 2bn served in india ,burma, they had a machine gun bn in kohima. if you list his name and number  someone else could have info on him, and  The wait time for a reply may be up to six months. UPDATE, sorry Annabelle i was not switched on you are referring to CHARLES NORMAN DOBSON,  from your other post,    you could have just added this question on the other post but  never mind,  do you have his number and my be someone  could help .
.tonyrod

« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 08:59:06 PM by tonyrod »

Offline Robert Bonner

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 10:30:26 AM »
Annabelle.

You have already been given the answer on the first thread which you originally started and that is to read the published histories of the 2nd Battalion in WWII. 

Now that you have specified 'D' Company there is all the more reason for you to read Rex King-Clark's book Forward From Kohima as that has a complete appendix with photographs of the activities of this specific company.

They were detached as part of 36 Indian Division and had a very exciting and dangerous war.
Robert
Robert

annabelle

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 08:36:28 PM »
hello,

thank you for your replies.
Tonyrod- Sorry I seem to have put this in the wrong place, i'm new to the forum! i will add his number to my original post and see what turns up. thanks

Robert- i bought the books recommended to me (Bell and King-Clark) and yes indeed they are excellent. As I said in my post though I do not know which company my granddad was in. As the battalion did not fight as a whole, as i learnt from my reading, I have no idea whether he was in India/Burma or Kohima. Will follow Tony's advice and keep my fingers crossed!

Thanks, Annabelle

Offline tonyrod

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 04:07:04 PM »
annabelle, no problem   no harm done. tonyrod