Author Topic: Lieutenant-Colonel Bindon Fitzgerald Blood (1915-1972)  (Read 2677 times)

brianblood

Lieutenant-Colonel Bindon Fitzgerald Blood (1915-1972)
« on: March 26, 2009, 09:18:36 AM »
I have fund the following information:

Lieutenant-Colonel Bindon Fitzgerald Blood (1915-1972) was commissioned in 1933 and fought in the Second World War. He was decorated with the award of Military Cross (M.C.) in 1945. He was Commander of the 2nd Battalion, Manchester Regiment between 1945 and 1946 retiring in 1952 to his home in Ballykilty, County Clare. His grandfather, John Blood (1849-1912) also lived at Ballykilty, County Clare and is shown in the information above relating to property in Ireland owned by members of the Blood family.

I am trying to trace BF Blood's career - was he part of the Manchester Regiment during the 2nd World War?  If so, where was he based.  Many other members of the Blood family fought in India including my father.  Where did BF Blood win his MC? What happened to the 2nd Battalion of the Manchester Regiment after 1946?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Brian Blood

timberman

Re: Lieutenant-Colonel Bindon Fitzgerald Blood (1915-1972)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 07:54:09 PM »
Hi brianblood

Welcome to the forum.
I've had a good look in the London Gazette and can only find this.

THE LONDON GAZETTE, 30 AUGUST, 1935

The undermentioned Gentlemen Cadets,
from the Royal Military College, to 'be 2nd
Lts. 29th Aug. 1935:—

R. North'd Fus.—Bindon FitzGerald BLOOD.
Richard Frank Bradshaw HENSMAN.
Donald Cecil Broadbent WALKER.

I'm sure someone will be able to help with more.

Timberman

Offline Robert Bonner

• Administrator
Re: Lieutenant-Colonel Bindon Fitzgerald Blood (1915-1972)
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 05:58:51 PM »
What a splendid family name!

With the end of the war in May 1945 the 2nd Battalion moved to Secunderabad. Here Lieutenant Colonel Rex King-Clark, who had commanded the battalion in Burma (See Forward From Kohima) handed over command to Lieutenant Colonel BFG Blood of the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers.  After a relatively short time in command he handed over to Lieutenant Colonel John Orgill of the Manchesters.  The 2nd Battalion then moved to Fort St George in Madras.

The reason that a RNF took over command is that they were one of the four infantry regiments serving as Vickers Machine-Gun Regiments: Manchesters, Cheshires, Middlesex and RNF.
Robert