Author Topic: My Great Grandfather  (Read 4580 times)

elsie

My Great Grandfather
« on: March 05, 2009, 04:14:17 PM »
In 1881 my Great Grandfather James Streeter was stationed at Ladysmith Barracks. He was listed as being in the 63rd regiment of foot. I think he must have joined the regiment about 1870 or thereabouts. I would like to find out what the regiment were doing in these years and his records if they are available. Can anybody help.

timberman

Re: My Great Grandfather
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 05:31:39 PM »
Hi elsie

Welcome to the forum

Just a bit of information, someone else will give you more information I'm sure :)

An era of relative peace
Many important reforms were implemented in 1873 by the then Secretary of State for War Edward Cardwell, which became known as Cardwell's Reforms, though further reforms in 1881 would lead to the amalgamation of the 63rd and 96th into The Manchester Regiment.

Upon them departing the Crimea at the end of the war in 1856, the regiment sailed for Nova Scotia, Canada. Upon their arrival at the dockyard in Halifax, a large crowd of many thousands came out to greet the 63rd, as if they were a modern-day football team. They remained in Canada until 1864, having played a prominent role in the country. They returned to the UK in 1865, spending a number of years there in various parts of the country.

In 1870 the 63rd reached the sub-continent, being based in various parts of British India. The regiment had a brief involvement in the Second Afghan War in 1878. In 1881, while still stationed in India, the regiment, under Childers Reforms, a continuation of Cardwell's Reforms, saw the 63rd amalgamate with the 96th Regiment of Foot, to form The Manchester Regiment, becoming the city regiment of its namesake.

The 63rd became the 1st Battalion the Manchester Regiment in 1881
The 96th became the 2nd Battalion the Manchester Regiment in 1881

Timberman

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 09:39:17 PM »
in 1870, the 63rd were in Cork and then sailed for India via Egypt. they arrived at Bombay in november and went on to Hazaribagh

they later moved to Bengal to help with a famine there

in 1876 they were at the Delhi Dubar

1878 Umballa

1880 to Afghanistan (yes fighting in the same places we are now)

chris

“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 05:57:09 PM »
Hi elsie !

I would have thought that he would probably have retired before 1914, therefore his service/pension record will be at The National Archives in Kew.  If you can not get there yourself, perhaps ask a researcher to look for you, it should not cost the earth !  (our man themonsstar goes to Kew often  ;) )

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

elsie

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 02:11:29 PM »
It seems that finding this info is a bit beyond me. I wonder would Thermistor contact me with a view to doing some research for me at Kew. Please get in touch.

Elsie

elsie

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 02:12:54 PM »
I got his name wrong  I meant thermonsstar.

Elsie

Offline rafboy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 03:27:15 PM »
I like Thermistor, it being an electrical component.  Our Roy is a "Bright Spark" and a "Live Wire".
Cliff
Cliff P Son of 3525679 Sgt Arthur Phillips 1st Bn Manchester Regiment and RAPC

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 06:11:07 PM »
Hi elsie !

themonsstar drifts in and out as we all do, but I have tried to alert him to your call, spelt either way  ;D

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

elsie

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 01:42:46 PM »
Hello Wendy,
Thanks for your note. I can only be patient.

Elsie :)

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 03:01:39 PM »
Hi Elsie
I will have a look next week to see if I can find his service record.

Cheers MS

elsie

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 01:50:43 PM »
Hi Themonsstar,

Thank you for answering my request. Should there be any charges for your search I will gladly pay them.
Do you need any more details?

Elsie :)