Author Topic: Albert Simpson 1st Battalion Manchester regiment  (Read 5489 times)

wattie

Albert Simpson 1st Battalion Manchester regiment
« on: March 11, 2009, 10:24:17 AM »
Can anyone help please..Albert Simpson was killed in action in Basra ,his regimental number was 15819 and 7509. He was a private and was involved with British Expeditionary Force.
We have conflicting reports and original documents stating wether he died or not.
He came from Radcliffe and his date of birth was c 1879. any information on this gentleman would be appreciated.

Offline DaveMurphy

Re: Albert Simpson 1st Battalion Manchester regiment
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 10:39:46 AM »
G'day Wattie,

A warm welcome to the forum!

CWGC has this in their records about him:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=1659362

SIMPSON, ALBERT
Initials: A
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Manchester Regiment
Unit Text: 1st Bn.
Date of Death: 08/03/1916
Service No: 15819
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 31 and 64.
Memorial: BASRA MEMORIAL

I think this is as good an evidence that he died until we can get a look at his service record.

wattie

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 10:54:02 AM »
Thanks very much for that..I am researching for a friend of mine and she has documents,letters etc from Albert whilst he was at the front.Also a letter sent on behalf of  Earl Lucan  stating that they were pleased to inform the family that he was well  etc..(after they had enquired as to if the body had been found) I will have a look at her documents and try to sort something out. The family wonder if he wasn't killed and just didn't return home!
There is a newspaper cutting taken out of the Manchester Guardian later in the war, its a photograph just of one soldier ,this looks to have been torn out of the paper. All these documents were found after the death of his wife .
As I only got a look at these last night and have not got them in my possesion,I will ask to see them again.

tisgrannie

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 01:21:36 PM »
Hi there, I have checked for service records, unfortunately many were burned. Unless someone can check Kew for you.
regards
tisgrannie

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 03:03:32 PM »
here is his record from 'Soldiers Died in the Great War'

click for bigger

chris
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Online mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 04:10:42 PM »
hiya wattie.
pte 7509 and pte 15819 a.simpson,are not the same man
your pte 15819 albert simpson,enlisted on 11 december 1914,in the 14th manchesters.

mack ;D

wattie

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 04:52:38 PM »
Many thanks for the quick reply to my query,I have passed it on to my friend. All we can do now is wait and see if anyone can do a look up at Kew or Ancestry.co.uk  updates the military records.

jannieb

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 11:41:01 AM »
Hi  I have been researching my great uncle Alexander Simpson without any success.  However I have a letter from him addressed to his brother, my grandfather James Simpson and he signs off 7509 Manchester Regiment, A Comp, North Camp, Aldershot.  Could this be the other A Simpson.  If it is I would love to know what happened to him.  My Grandfather also served with the Manchesters, I think he belonged to the 13th Battalion, his number was 15774.  He survived the war and died in 1925.

many thanks

jannieb

wattie

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 09:54:39 AM »
Here is a copy of the letter sent to Albert Simpsons family.
                                                                                   September 28th 1916

Dear Sir,
In reply to enquiries we have made at your request for your son,we have received the following cable from our office in Basra.
Private 15819(or as the war office has it 7509) A Simpson 1st Manchester Regiment is doing police duty and is quite well.
We are glad to be able to send you this good news and we very much hope you will soon hear from your son.
Yours faithfully,
K.C.M.
For Earl of Lucan

This is an exact transcript of the letter held by the family. He never returned to Radcliffe!

Online mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 11:18:46 AM »
Here is a copy of the letter sent to Albert Simpsons family.
                                                                                   September 28th 1916

Dear Sir,
In reply to enquiries we have made at your request for your son,we have received the following cable from our office in Basra.
Private 15819(or as the war office has it 7509) A Simpson 1st Manchester Regiment is doing police duty and is quite well.
We are glad to be able to send you this good news and we very much hope you will soon hear from your son.
Yours faithfully,
K.C.M.
For Earl of Lucan

This is an exact transcript of the letter held by the family. He never returned to Radcliffe!
hiya wattie.
i think its a mistake by the war office,they have enquired about the wrong man
pte 7509 a.simpson 1st manchesters,was pte 7509 alexander simpson,he transferred to the military police,as pte P/5625 a.simpson

pte 15774 james simpson,transferred to the labour corps,as pte 488782 j.simpson

mack ;D

wattie

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 11:29:55 AM »
Thanks Mack..I know where to come if I have any more "Manchester" help, excellent ten out of ten!!! ; :) ;)

Online mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 12:35:08 PM »
Hi  I have been researching my great uncle Alexander Simpson without any success.  However I have a letter from him addressed to his brother, my grandfather James Simpson and he signs off 7509 Manchester Regiment, A Comp, North Camp, Aldershot.  Could this be the other A Simpson.  If it is I would love to know what happened to him.  My Grandfather also served with the Manchesters, I think he belonged to the 13th Battalion, his number was 15774.  He survived the war and died in 1925.

many thanks

jannieb
hiya jannie.
where was your grandfather living,at the time.
he enlisted on 8-12-1914
a batch of men were posted to the 13th manchesters,on 17-12-14

your grandfather didnt join a particular battalion.he would have been posted to the manchesters depot at ashton,then assigned to his battalion within a few days.
most of the men who enlisted with him,would have ended up,in the 11th,12th or 13th battalion,the ones who were not fit for active service,would have been posted to the 3rd manchesters at cleethorpes.

mack ;D

Offline Pete Th

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 01:43:18 PM »
Hi, the following extract from a book me and Neil Drum are writing about our area (Irlam and Cadishead) explains what the 1st Battalion were up to on the 8th March 1916. Your Gret Uncle must have been with our man below:

Charles James William Bunn      
Private Charles Bunn (Service no. 2257) served with the 1st Battalion, Manchester Regiment, 8th (Jullundur) Brigade, 3rd Division. He was born in Newcastle-on-Tyne. He resided with his wife, Minnie, and two children at 72 Hurst Fold, Irlam and was employed by British Westinghouse in Trafford Park. He was a well-known local tenor. He enlisted in 1914 at Manchester, giving his address as 17 Fiddlers Lane, Irlam.

His battalion left Marseilles on the 10th December 1915 and arrived at Basra on the 8th January 1916. On Wednesday the 8th March 1916 Charles took part in an attack on the Dujailah Redoubt on the Turkish right flank, which was part of an unsuccessful attempt to relieve the besieged British garrison at Kut-al-Amara. This was a formidable part of the Turkish defences located between the Tigris and the Shatt-el-Hai in Mesopotamia. The following is a summary of the action taken from the despatches of Lieutenant-General Sir Percy Lake:

The first attack on the redoubt was strongly opposed by the enemy from trenches cleverly concealed in the brushwood. The southern attack was reinforced, and by 1pm had pushed to within 500 yards of the Redoubt. Concealed trenches again stopped further progress. The Turks made several counter-attacks with reinforcements which had by now arrived from Magasis. A further assault on the Redoubt took place at 5.15pm. Attacks were launched from the south and east under cover of a heavy bombardment. The 9th and 28th Infantry Brigades got within 200 yards of the southern face, where they were held up by heavy fire. Meanwhile the 8th Infantry Brigade, supported by the 37th, had assaulted from the East. The two leading battalions of the Brigade; the Manchesters and 59th Rifles, and some of the 37th Infantry Brigade, succeeded in gaining a foothold in the Redoubt. They were heavily counter-attacked by large enemy reinforcements, and were subjected to extremely rapid and accurate shrapnel fire from concealed guns in the vicinity of Sinn Aftar. As a result our troops were forced to fall back to their starting positions. A renewal of the assault on the night of the 8th/9th March could not be made with any prospect of success therefore a withdrawal took place to Wadi. The troops had been under arms for over 30 hours, including a long night march. They were exhausted and water supplies were running low. The Battalion sustained a total of 13 Officer and 447 other rank casualties.

Charles was killed during this action on 8th March 1916, aged 24. He is commemorated on the Basra memorial. He was entitled to the 1915 star trio. After his death his wife later remarried becoming Mrs. Minnie Barber residing at 14 Heath Road, Owley Wood, Weaverham, Cheshire.
Remembering

Pte Sidney Lee (36719), 2nd Battalion, Worcestershire Regt - dow 18.02.17
Sgt Charles Roberts (13668), 11th Bn, Manchester Regiment - kia 18.05.18
Bombardier John Hesford (70065), 147th Heavy Battery, RGA dow - 04.09.18
Pte Sidney Lee (4131324), 8th Bn, Cheshire Regiment -  kia 12.03.41