Author Topic: Kearsley's brothers for Ince Wigan  (Read 9734 times)

flowerpot mum

Re: Kearsley's brothers for Ince Wigan
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2009, 03:50:30 PM »
Cheers for that Nick.
Couldnt wait to get home and follow this up today, now it sound even more interesting. Going to look at records on acestry now. I really do value all the leads I get on any of the families from Kay's/Little Westwood so thank you again for forward this inf to me, and if you find anymore keep it coming :-*

flowerpot mum

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2009, 11:42:31 AM »
Flowerpot Mum
I came across this soldier the other day, he may be of interest to you
Pte William Duddle
C Company
1/5th Manchesters.
William was a married man with one child who lived at 39 Kays houses. however his widow and child moved to Warrington Road.
William was shot during the great charge of June 4th. His brother Cpl Henry Duddle also C Company, on seeing his brother fall, went out under fire and brought his brother back, unfortunately William died on the 8th June 1915.
Nick

hiya

Could you help me understand? ???

Why did Henry have two numbers? His roll card states that he was in the Manchester R 1315 and the E Lancs R 235987. Does this mean in peace time from 1912 he was in the specials and them enlisted in another reg in war time? Not sure when he moved yet, but guessing it was to be with his brothers and neighbours? How easy was it move?

A few residences of Kay's enlisted in 1912 in the speicals, was this common? Trying to find out if it was to do with underemployed in the pits after the 1911 strike or because of some other national concern.

Cheers :-*

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2009, 12:14:22 PM »
Why did Henry have two numbers? His roll card states that he was in the Manchester R 1315 and the E Lancs R 235987.

In the WW1 period  service numbers were regimental so if he moved from one regiment to another (ie from the Manchester Regiment to the East Lancs) he would get a different (new) number
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

flowerpot mum

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2009, 04:46:31 PM »
Why did Henry have two numbers? His roll card states that he was in the Manchester R 1315 and the E Lancs R 235987.

In the WW1 period  service numbers were regimental so if he moved from one regiment to another (ie from the Manchester Regiment to the East Lancs) he would get a different (new) number

Cheers for that, any clues as to why soldiers moved reg? And why they would be allowed?