Author Topic: Brothers killed in WW1  (Read 8549 times)

robinson

Brothers killed in WW1
« on: February 27, 2009, 10:00:41 AM »
Hi Everyone

I am new to this website and I think it is a great source of information. I would be grateful for any help regarding my Grandma's brothers.

Private George Robinson 6470 2nd battalion Manchester Regiment died 25/12/1914 he is buried in Dranoutre cemetery, is there any more information on him or if possible a photograph of his grave.

William Robinson Bombardier 283361  Royal Garrison Artillery died 6/10/1917 William was the father of the Manchester boxer Alf Robinson
he is buried in Ypre Reservoir cemetery.

Joseph Robinson born 1886

Arthur Robinson born 1891
I do not know which regiment either of the brothers joined. They were both born in the Collyhurst area, they lived at Lathbury Road Harpurhey, before possibly getting married and joining up.

Robinson

tisgrannie

Re: Brothers killed in WW1
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 11:49:49 AM »
Hello and welcome, I know we don't have the cemetery Dranoutre listed. I run that section. We have someone who has a special interest in the 2nd Bn. Hopefully he will be along shortley. I am moving this to WW1 section.
regards
tisgrannie

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 07:34:19 PM »
hiya rob.
george arrived in france on 27th oct 1914,he was probably in the draft of men,who joined the battalion in the field,at baillieul on 1st november,they had just come out of the line at festubert
on 2nd+3rd nov,they moved by motor bus,to estaires,and the following day,they moved back,to support the indian division,on 5th nov,they were joined by another draft of men,then moved to lacontre and then to laventrie,where they were billeted in a farm at la fingue,they stayed there,till 13th nov,then relieved the DCLI in the trenches,on 14th nov,they were relieved by the east lancs regt during the night and moved back to estaires.
on 15th nov,they joined the 14th brigade and moved to merterin,they then moved out of france,into belgium and relieved the french in the front line at wulvergham,25 men were wounded,between the 10th+17th dec,mostly by artillery fire,george would have been amongst them,no casualties were reported between 17th dec and the day george died of wounds[24th dec]the fact that he was still in the area when he died of wounds,suggests that he was wounded quite recently,otherwise,he would have been on his way to the base hospital
ime pretty sure george was originally buried in dranoutre churchyard,and his body moved to the military cemetery,in 1923.

mack ;D

robinson

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 08:09:48 PM »
Hi Mack

Thanks for the info tracking the 2nd battalions movements. A member of the family has a ribbon which says George was injured 23rd December died 25th December I wonder if you could shed any light on this.

Cheers

Robinson

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 08:16:58 PM »
Hi Mack

Thanks for the info tracking the 2nd battalions movements. A member of the family has a ribbon which says George was injured 23rd December died 25th December I wonder if you could shed any light on this.

Cheers

Robinson
hiya rob.
on 23rd dec,they took over trenches east of lindenhoek,from the west riding regt,they had just come from billets a st.ians cappel.
on the day george died,they moved back into the old trenches,at wulvergham.

mack ;D

timberman

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 08:50:09 PM »
Hi Robinson

Just to add to what Mack has said.

It says in the entry for the 24th Dec.

Took over old trenches at Wulvergham from the Bedford Reg.
Casualties.
Killed 2nd/ Lt H R Farrar and 4170 Sgt Williams.
Wounded 2 men, died of wounds 25/12/14

Timberman

robinson

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 09:08:21 PM »
Hi Mack and Timberman

Thanks for the info it's amazing to be able to track their movements. I think I read somewhere on your website that two members of the Manchester Regiment were buried side by side at Dranoutre, were they the only two that died during that period, or were there more.

Also is there any way of checking whether the two younger brothers were in the Manchester Regiment as I have very little information on them.

Thank you for all your help

Robinson

timberman

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 09:24:06 PM »
Hi Robinson

If you go to this link it is my cemetery list if you down load it and go to Dranoutre Cemetery.

http://themanchesters.org/forum/index.php?topic=928.0

You will find that
G Robinson 6470 is buried 11.K.8 and died 25/12/14
W Williams 4170 is buried 11.K.9 and died 24/12/14

I remember I could not find the officer at the time because he was attached to the Manchester's.

Timberman

timberman

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 09:35:24 PM »
The two younger brothers.

On the National Archives it has the folllowing.

Joseph Robinson 507 entries 15 in the Manchester's
Arthur Robinson 602 entries 8 in the Manchester's

Did they have a middle name this would help.

Timberman

robinson

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 10:05:19 PM »
Hi Timberman

Thanks for the cemetery list.

As for the other brothers I have very little information except for their dates of birth and the area they were born so I think I am going to have difficulty finding them.

Thanks

Robinson

timberman

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 11:13:01 PM »
Here is the officer

Name: FARRAR, HERBERT RONALD
Initials: H R
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Leicestershire Regiment
Unit Text: 3rd Bn.
Secondary Regiment: Manchester Regiment
Secondary Unit Text: attd. 2nd. Bn. 
Date of Death: 24/12/1914
Additional information: Son of the Rev. Herbert William and Florence Margaret Farrar, of Barcombe Rectory, Lewes, Sussex. Born at South Shields. 25th July, 1887.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: II. K. 10.
Cemetery: DRANOUTRE MILITARY CEMETERY

So all three where buried next to each other.

Back to the brothers do you know if they survived the war ???

Pictures for Tis's War Graves site are going in all the time so it is possible that a picture of the grave stone will appear sometime. ???

Timberman

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 07:29:10 AM »
that explains why i ignored the man who was wounded on 24th dec.
the entry reads,KILLED.2/Lt farrar and sgt williams,WOUNDED.one man 3rd leic regt,died of wounds on 25th dec,i thought the wounded man was from the leic regt.
good work neil
sorry rob,the transcript was worded badly

george was living in moston,when he was killed,born miles platting.

i checked the absent voters register for harpurhey,no robinsons registered a vote from this street,do you know what number they lived at.

mack.

robinson

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 11:49:54 AM »
Hi Mack and Timberman

Thanks for all the additional information, I have a relative in Australia,George was her Grandfather, she will be delighted with all the detail.
I will keep checking the site for a photo of the grave.

Back to the brothers they were both killed in the war. Arthur born 1891, was on the 1911 census age 19 living at 44, Lathbury Road Harpurhey.

Joseph Robinson born 1886 was not on the census so I think he must have been married. I have a possibility.

I have an entry of a soldier born in Manchester killed in world war 1, I need to check whether he is the right one or eliminate him.

Joseph Robinson
Private 2682 1st/6th battalion Royal Scots died 24th March 1916.

I would be grateful for any detail on this soldier.

Thanks

Robinson

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 03:13:01 PM »
this is joe
pte 2682 joseph robinson
1/6th royal scots
chapelfield rd,ardwick
died in egypt of pneumonia,on 24-3-16
aged 25
worked at moseleys rubber works

mack ;D

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 03:51:28 PM »
pte 2682 joseph robinson Was born and enlisted in Manchester

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha