Author Topic: LONG SERVICE VOLUNTEER FORCE EDVII.  (Read 2954 times)

Offline wombat

LONG SERVICE VOLUNTEER FORCE EDVII.
« on: February 03, 2009, 12:45:49 PM »
I have a Long Service Volunteer Force medal, (EDVII).
Awarded to: 2250 J. THOMPSON.  (6TH VB).

The 6th VB was the Oldham Unit. Can anyone tell me if this chap actually came from Oldham?

Any help would be appreciated.

James.
WANTED: Any information or photographs of members of the Oldham Corps, SJAB Boer War.

tisgrannie

Re: LONG SERVICE VOLUNTEER FORCE EDVII.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 07:24:16 PM »
Hi Stranger, nice to see you around. Someone with the knowledge will be along shortly I am sure. Got about 8/10 inches of snow in Oldham if you would like some.
Best wishes
tis

Offline wombat

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 10:15:26 PM »
Thanks tis,

I have been around, but dial up is so frustrating, constantly dropping out and expensive.  Our area finally got Broadband just before Christmas, so you should be seeing a bit more of me.

The heat is not as bad here in Tasmania as on the mainland, and we get our fair share of snow in the winter too.  The Antarctic Icebreakers sail from Hobart, and we have Penguins on the coast near us.

I will never complain about the rain again. My son is in Townsville, (North Queensland).  They have just had two Cyclones within two weeks.  The area is now flooded and he has to carry a side arm when in the bush for the big Salt water croc's comming up the flooded creeks. Not quite the problems I had in Oldham as a lad!!

I'm hoping someone will be able to help out with the information.

Nice to be back,
James.

WANTED: Any information or photographs of members of the Oldham Corps, SJAB Boer War.

Offline DaveMurphy

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 10:28:36 PM »
G'day James,

Are you in Hobart? I have been there in December and seen snow on Mt Wellington.... crazy!

If you are interested, my old ship HMAS Stuart will be there in a couple of days for a port visit. They will no doubt have an open day for the public to have a look around on of the finest warships in the RAN (in my opinion of course!).

Cheers,

Dave

Offline wombat

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 11:41:17 PM »
Hello Dave,

I am about 50K's inland from Devonport on the North West coast, (Sheffield).

Hobart is a two and a half hour drive, I don't get down there very often, so sadly I won't get chance to see your old ship. Sometimes the ships come to Devonport and I go down to see them then.

Last time I was in Hobart my son was living there and we had gone for a visit.  We went to the top of Mt. Wellington at night in a snow storm, my wife was driving.  Dave, do you remember how narrow the road is and the sheer drop on the passenger side, in places you can't pass another car you have to pull in to a bay. I was so scared I don't think I opened my eyes until we reached the top. 

At one point there was a car comming down and when I told my wife she was in the middle of the road,  her only reply was "there's NO WAY I'm moving over"! And they think  they get heavy snow in the UK!

What brought you to the Manchester's Forum?

James.

Offline DaveMurphy

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 12:26:31 AM »
James,

I have driven a lap around Tassie with spouse, and up Mt Wellington and yep it was scary, not in snow though! It is quite beautiful down there (except Queenstown!), and whenever I went in a ship, we always had a great time.

I stumbled upon this lot about 4 years back after I was given my great-grandfathers medals. The subsequent research found that he had spent 30+ years with the Manchester Regiment.

Dave