Author Topic: Walter Gibson 9499, 17th Bn.  (Read 5315 times)

Angular

Walter Gibson 9499, 17th Bn.
« on: October 19, 2007, 10:09:20 AM »
I am looking for information about my great uncles, Harry (b. 1889) and Walter (b. 1884) Gibson, originally from the Blackburn/Bolton area, but I don't know where they went when their father re-married and moved to Yorkshire. 

I have a CWG record on the Thiepval Monument for a Cpl Walter Gibson 9499, d. 30/7/16, age unknown, and a medal card showing that man was in the 17th Bn.  What I can't find, either on ancestry.com or on the long, long trial, are any records of when the man joined up, and where he was born, to link him with the little I do know.

There are a couple of other Walter Gibsons with CWG memorials, Pte. 353104 and 203498, so he could be one of those.

Your help is appreciated!

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
Re: Walter Gibson 9499, 17th Bn.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 10:37:43 AM »
Hi again  ;)

9499 Walter Gibson of 17th Bn was born in Long Cawson, Leicester  ???
What I can't find, either on ancestry.com or on the long, long trial, are any records of when the man joined up, and where he was born, to link him with the little I do know.

Sadly 60% or so of those papers were lost to fire after the German Bombings of 1940 so it's possible that the records you are looking for no longer exist  :-\

There are a couple of other Walter Gibsons with CWG memorials, Pte. 353104 and 203498, so he could be one of those.
Both of these are listed on CWGC website as just "W" Gibson  ???

What leads you to believe that your Gibsons were in the Manchester Regiment?

Wendi  :)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 11:29:48 AM by Wendi »
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Angular

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 10:53:48 AM »
Their father, my great grandfather, left his family of four in 1904 to marry a woman from Yorkshire, where he lived for a while before returning to Bolton, where my grandfather was born in 1906.   Harry was only 14 at the time, so I guessed that he, and possibly the two daughters, went to stay with their mother's family in Manchester.

I had a nice little story in my head that Harry had been a Territorial soldier, mobilised in 1914, and his older brother (who was probably married at the time) joined the same regiment in August/September 1914, as you would.

Until two months ago I didn't even know that this first family had ever existed; they were never mentioned, and we have no photos at all.  I had guessed that the men were wiped out at Gallipoli and the Somme and the women either married and moved away, or remained spinsters, but it may just have been one of those family feuds, and i have lots of cousins living in Bolton blissfully unaware of an East Anglian connection!.  They probably didn't approve of the second wife's family; having looked into their history, I wouldn't be surprised!

Thanks for your help Wendi ;D

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 11:14:05 AM »
9499 Walter Gibson of 17th Bn

would indicate he's an original pal, i need to look at the book of honour when i get home
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 07:13:45 PM »
indeed he is, but he's on the supplemental photo and i don't think it's on the cd  :(

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 07:25:44 PM »

here's walter 9499's sdgw entry

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey