Author Topic: Sergeant John JOHNSON Manchester Regiment  (Read 5694 times)

bobtie

Sergeant John JOHNSON Manchester Regiment
« on: January 27, 2009, 02:01:00 AM »
Hi,
Does anyone have any information regarding a Sgt John JOHNSON of the Manchester Regiment?  Sgt Johnson married my great-grandaunt while based in Aldershot in 1888. He gave his age as 22 which means he was born about 1866 in Manchester.   :-\
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 08:26:41 PM by harribobs »

bobtie

Re: Sergeant, Manchester Regiment
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 06:00:35 AM »
Update on my previous post......

Having located my great-grandaunt in the 1901 census, it appears that Sgt Johnson may have died in Gibralter around 1899 while serving with Regiment.  Interpreting the birth places of his children, he was also stationed in Ireland (c.1890 - 1895), Preston, Lancs. (1896), Aldershot, Hants. (1897) and Gibraltar 1899.  His widowed wife Jean, is back living in Farnborough with her 5 children in 1901.

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
Re: Sergeant John JOHNSON Manchester Regiment
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 08:29:38 PM »
Hi Bobtie

and welcome to the forum

i am afraid i haven't got any information for you but hopefully another member of the group will be able to help

cheers

chris
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 06:48:13 PM »
Hi Bobtie !

You may have noticed that we are not too thick on the ground with info from 1880's to 1899  ;D

Prime reason is that it was a "quite time" BUT the good news is that your Sgt. Johnson's service record should be in the public domain.  That is available from the UK National Archives at Kew.

I would encourage you to pursue this line of enquiry, if not in person, then via a researcher.  (themonsstar is our man at Kew) but he is not the only one.  Ask for a quote, but it should not cost the earth  ;)

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

bobtie

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 06:51:47 AM »
Thanks Wendi.  I'll try the Archives. :)

Taffy

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 12:14:29 PM »
Sergeant John Johnson Was my Great Uncle. He was killed 6-1-1900 in South Africa. He was awarded the Queens South Africa Medal and clasp. If the person who posted the inquiry wants more info. I have it from birth to death. Taffy   

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 05:53:42 PM »
Hi Taffy and a Warm Welcome to our Forum

How frustrating but bobtie does not appear to have visited the forum since their last post  :( I hope they see your message!

Meantime hope you have the opportunity to enjoy the various pictures and threads we have on offer.

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

bobtie

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 12:20:03 PM »
Hi Wendi,

Many thanks for notifying me re: Taffy's message. I've contacted him via his email address so, fingers crossed, may have solved this mystery.

Cheers,
Bob

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 03:44:59 PM »
Some pages from the battle