Author Topic: Dunkirk Memorial  (Read 3587 times)

Offline Dave1212

Dunkirk Memorial
« on: March 19, 2009, 04:34:20 PM »
I was torn whether to post this here or under ‘Non Manchester Regiment Queries’ but here it goes:

One soldier I’m tracking reportedly died while a POW. CWGC lists information for a man that might fit but I’m not sure.

This particular chap was listed as serving with the RASC, date of death was late December 1944 & his name is recorded on the Dunkirk Memorial (Column 141).  No POW reference though.

My question: Are names of POWS on the Dunkirk Memorial? If so, where might these men been situated at the time of their deaths?

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Fritz Bayer

Re: Dunkirk Memorial
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 11:30:08 PM »
My question: Are names of POWS on the Dunkirk Memorial? If so, where might these men been situated at the time of their deaths?

If they were taken prisoner in France or Belgium in either 1939 or 1940 and have no known grave, then yes.  They could have died anywhere between France and eastern Poland...so long as they meet the afforementioned criteria then, yes they can be included.

Dave.

Offline Dave1212

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 10:02:58 PM »
This is very helpful - thank you Dave. I was thinking the man had been captured at Dunkirk - knowing this now, I may indeed be on the right track. Thank you again...

samuel

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 11:19:52 AM »
Hi dave 1212

Was this man you're looking for with the 42nd east lancs  as I was at Dunkirk and will be going back there again on 14th may.  Do you have a name?
Sam

Offline Dave1212

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 11:39:16 PM »
Very sorry for the delay in responding Sam. Wonderful to hear from you. The chap in question served with the Royal Army Service Corps (3 Petrol Depot) which I believe was part of the BEF in 1939/40. I'll pm you with additional details of the soldier.

Cheers,
Dave