Author Topic: william or bill fletcher ww1  (Read 4618 times)

torla1950

william or bill fletcher ww1
« on: January 23, 2009, 02:11:10 AM »
.i its torla, william or bill fletcher has he was known was in ww1. i have a letter from him to ma and pa regarding his brother joe who was injured dont know his number ect but im sure he was in the man reg any help would be welcome regards torla1950

Offline tonyrod

Re: william or bill fletcher ww1
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 02:39:30 PM »
hi toria, more info  will be needed , on the medal cards there are 530 william fletcher and 5 in the manchester regiment, like migky says any other clues.  i am sure we can help with more to work on, tonyrod

torla1950

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 02:31:48 AM »
hi all, bills brother was joe fletcher26396 he died in 1918. the letter written by bill states he was in the great advance, july 1916. he knew joe had been injured. bill may have been living at 24 anslow street manchester. just hope he didnt get killed.thanks torla

Offline tonyrod

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 11:36:07 AM »
hi toria, i am sure someone will be able to help with william but the info on joe  i dont know if you already have this,

In Memory of
Lance Corporal J FLETCHER

26396, 17th Bn., Manchester Regiment
who died
on 22 March 1918

Remembered with honour
SAVY BRITISH CEMETERY

Commemorated in perpetuity by
the Commonwealth War Graves Commission 

Location Information: Savy is a village 6.5 kilometres west of St Quentin. Savy British Cemetery is on the south-western outskirts of the village, on the west side of the road to Roupy.
Historical Information: Savy was taken by the 32nd Division on the 1st April 1917, after hard fighting, and Savy Wood on the 2nd. On the 21st March 1918 Savy and Roupy were successfully defended by the 30th Division, but the line was withdrawn after nightfall. The village and the wood were retaken on the 17th September 1918 by the 34th French Division, fighting on the right of the British IX Corps. Savy British Cemetery was made in 1919, and the graves from the battlefields and small cemeteries in the neighbourhood were concentrated into it. There are now over 850, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, more than half are unidentified. Memorials are erected in the cemetery to 68 soldiers (chiefly of the 19th King's Liverpools and the 17th Manchesters), buried by the Germans in their cemetery on the St. Quentin-Roupy road, whose graves were destroyed by shell fire. The Cemetery covers an area of 2,555 square metres and is enclosed by a low rubble wall. The following were among the burial grounds from which British graves were removed to Savy British Cemetery:- DALLON GERMAN CEMETERY, North-West of the village of Dallon, containing the graves of 21 British soldiers who fell in March 1918. INNISKILLINGS CEMETERY, DALLON, on the South side of a small wood, North of the St. Quentin-Savy road. Here the 2nd Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, in April 1917, buried 17 of their number, three other British soldiers and one French Interpreter. LANCASHIRE CEMETERY, on the East side of SAVY WOOD, made by the 16th Lancashire Fusiliers in April 1917, and containing the graves of 27 men of the 15th and 16th Lancashire Fusiliers and nine other British soldiers. ST. QUENTIN-ROUPY ROAD GERMAN CEMETERY, at L'Epine-de-Dallon, which contained the graves of 232 British soldiers who fell in March 1918. SAVY COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION, made in April 1917 and containing 14 British graves. SAVY MILITARY CEMETERY, close to Savy Church. It was made in April and May 1917 by the 97th Brigade and other units, and it contained 39 British graves. SAVY WOOD NORTH CEMETERY, at the North-West corner of Savy Wood, by the railway line. It was made by the 32nd Division in April and May 1917, and it contained 44 British graves. 
No. of Identified Casualties: 430
This figure includes Foreign

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 08:53:27 PM »
 Bill was killed in the german spring offensive of 1918 which started on 21st March 1918

click the image for bigger

« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 09:11:23 PM by harribobs »
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

torla1950

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 09:09:48 PM »
hi tony, thanks. i have the info on joe. i found bill on the newly released 1911 census. the letter i have has allways been a mystery as to who he was. letter dated july 6/16. dear ma &pa just a few lines, hoping this finds you all in the best of health as i am, but am sorry to say our joe has been wounded in the arm, but its nothing much. we are all in the great advance, but i was lucky getting through alright. but i hope to god i never have to go through the same again for it was horrible. but i will tell you all about it some day. i have just been and seen our joes pal and he told me about our joe, he also gave me two letters which i enclose, one for joe and one his brother-in-laws, so give them to joes wife. so i think that will be all just now so write back as soon as you can. bill. so from the letter would you think that joe was back home?  joe got killed in march 1918, 2yrs after letter was written. bill was aged 17 yrs, joe aged 25, another brother thomas aged 19 he was also in the war, all at home and single in 1911. parents were edward and jessie fletcher, all living at 24 anslow st manchester.  thomas lived untill he was 82 yrs, so would love to find out about bill. thanks to all torla.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 04:25:52 PM »
hiya torla.
we are putting togethor,a history of the 17th battalion,would you like us to add josephs name to it.
we can add any personal info that you wish

mack ;D

torla1950

Re joseph fletcher
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 09:10:11 PM »
hi mack, yes please add joe to the history of the 17 battalion. joe was the son of edward and jessica fletcher. anslow st manchester. he was also in the 25th bn,16th bn, 3rd bn, 19th bn, 17th bn being his last unit. regards torla.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
Re: Re joseph fletcher
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 02:39:07 AM »
hi mack, yes please add joe to the history of the 17 battalion. joe was the son of edward and jessica fletcher. anslow st manchester. he was also in the 25th bn,16th bn, 3rd bn, 19th bn, 17th bn being his last unit. regards torla.
its been done torla.

mack

torla1950

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 07:52:47 PM »
thanks mack,  torla