Author Topic: Tracing grandad Richard Hyde - 24th Manchester Reg  (Read 15476 times)

lindsayhyde

Tracing grandad Richard Hyde - 24th Manchester Reg
« on: January 14, 2009, 04:16:31 AM »
Hi...not sure where to start..but can anyone please help me decipher this medal record of my grandad -Where he served etc and any other info available re his military service? I believe he served from April 1916 to July 1916 in France before being discharged for shell shock. Many thanks (Australia).

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
Re: Tracing grandad Richard Hyde - 24th Manchester Reg
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 08:54:35 AM »
Hi Lindsay

and welcome to the forum

this is from the main site and gives you the potted details of what the battalion was doing during that time. can i ask where you got the dates of service from?

After a period of training the battalion were given a new career and on the 22nd May 1916 became Pioneer Battalion for the 7th Division and they moved to the village of Aumont, near Amiens, later to move to Morlancourt near Albert. Here they suffered their first casualties of the war, carrying out the duties of pioneers in the front lines and to the rear of them.

In the battle of the Somme the 24th battalion were engaged in converting the german trenches captured around Fricourt into strongpoints and consolidating the gains of the 7th Division. Compared with other units the battalion suffered very light casualties of eight men. On the 14th July the battalion followed up the attack on Bazention le Petit, to build a strongpoint in the village, taking 52 casualties. On the 30th August the 7th Division was to make it's attack on the disputed village of Guinchy, the 24th were employed building the support trenches needed, although the attack was not successful, the preparation work cost the battalion 38 casualties.

chris
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Offline kingo

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 09:05:31 AM »
Hi Lindsay. if you have access to ancestry (where i presume you got the medal index card you posted from ?) your Grandfathers records have survived and confirm he was discharged due to shell shock in 1917.
Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 09:42:24 AM »
the medal card tells he was awarded a silver war badge which means:-

(from the National Archives site)

The Silver War Badge, sometimes erroneously called the Silver Wound Badge, was authorised in September 1916 and takes the form of a circular badge with the legend "For King and Empire-Services Rendered" surrounding the George V cypher. The badge was awarded to all of those military personnel who were discharged as a result of sickness or wounds contracted or received during the war, either at home or overseas.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 10:03:29 AM »
pte 28168 richard hyde
enlisted 25-9-15 at hollinwood
aged 19yrs 4mths
occupation,worked as a spinner+piecer at ram mill,hollinwood
1915,lived at firs house,old rd,failsworth
1917 living at 713 oldham rd,failsworth
landed in france,on 19-4-16
on 7th july 1916,he was in the trenches at bray,he developed shell shock due to a shell explosion,he was sent to the 3rd canadian gen hospital at bolougne, he was then sent to 14th gen hospital,bolougne,invalided to england and admitted to 3rd western gen hospital,cardiff on 15-7-16,discharged to portcaul convalescent hospital on 2-9-16,he then spent 7 weeks in military hospitals at weaste+bury old road,discharged from here,on 17-10-16,and sent to knowsley park depot,and finally to heaton park depot.
discharged as physically unfit,on 23-8-17
awarded silver war badge No 133791
in 1928,he was living at 28 park st,failsworth.

physical description
height 5ft 4inch
weight 109Ibs
eyes grey
hair.ginger
chest 35inchs
described as a steady soldier,good character
born 25-4-1896
mother.clara

mack ;D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 12:56:33 PM by mack »

Offline kingo

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 10:21:24 AM »
Mack-it was Ram Mill-which is still standing !
Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 10:26:31 AM »
Mack-it was Ram Mill-which is still standing !
thanks andy.
my eyes are gettin bad ;D

mack

lindsayhyde

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 10:41:19 PM »
Thanks all for your replies...Mack, Kingo and Harribobs......this site is an excellent resource. Plenty of info to go on with for my research...but pls dont stop there, if you any other info i would greatly appreciate...its hard researching my English heritage from Australia!! I am on the ancestry site and its from there i found Richards military records - enlistment, medical and discharge info which had the dates he served in France located on a medical board report.

I believe that the medal roll numbers on the card provides more info about the actual battalion he was was attached to and where exactly he was posted...is this correct and how do I get accecss to this info? I have been passed down his war medals (a privilage to have) and know absolutely nothing about him (died b4 i was born and also when my father was very very young so no info passed down).

A question for Mack ....how do u know he was living at 28 Park st in 1928 and that his mothers name was Clara??

Regards from Auss....

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 10:52:19 PM »

A question for Mack ....how do u know he was living at 28 Park st in 1928 and that his mothers name was Clara??

Regards from Auss....

he was living next door  ;)

lindsayhyde

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 11:01:54 PM »
Mack......are you serious??...He was living next door to you with the rest of the Hyde Family ie His wife Elsie Florence and possibly my father John Hyde (1932)????.....

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 11:11:31 PM »
sorry Lindsay  ;D ;D ;D

but sometimes Mack comes up with info that makes you think he lived next door, he'll be looking up the name of your grandfathers dog now  ;)

you have his battalion, the 24th,  the Oldham Comrades i can expand a little on where he would have been during the war but not tonight i'm afraid

cheers

chris

lindsayhyde

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 11:19:38 PM »
Thanks Chris for the heads up.....Mack sounds like a card and appreciate the effort by all....and any info on Richards dog!!!.....Ill also look fwd to any further info on the dogs owner Richard......

Appreciated........Lindsay

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 07:00:03 AM »
Thanks all for your replies...Mack, Kingo and Harribobs......this site is an excellent resource. Plenty of info to go on with for my research...but pls dont stop there, if you any other info i would greatly appreciate...its hard researching my English heritage from Australia!! I am on the ancestry site and its from there i found Richards military records - enlistment, medical and discharge info which had the dates he served in France located on a medical board report.

I believe that the medal roll numbers on the card provides more info about the actual battalion he was was attached to and where exactly he was posted...is this correct and how do I get accecss to this info? I have been passed down his war medals (a privilage to have) and know absolutely nothing about him (died b4 i was born and also when my father was very very young so no info passed down).

Regards from Auss....
hiya lindsay.
theres a note from the war office,in his service record,it was addressed to the infantry records officer,informing him,that richard has been issued with the victory medal,and its been sent to him,at 28 park st,failsworth,his mum was listed as NOK in his records

mack

lindsayhyde

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 10:01:44 PM »
Thanks for the info Mack......you ppl really do have access to some great resources......I appreciate your help.... my dad will be very pleased when i tell him about his dad (he's very crook). BTW....what does NOK mean?

Regards....Lindsay

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 10:25:30 PM »
NOK  next of kin

give your dad our best wishes as well!

chris ( and the rest of the team  ;))