Author Topic: Museum of the Manchester Regiment Evening Talks Programme 2009  (Read 5979 times)

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Administrator
Museum of the Manchester Regiment Evening Talks Programme 2009
« on: January 09, 2009, 09:54:40 PM »
Museum of the Manchester Regiment – FREE Evening Talk Programme 2009

Date:  Wednesday 4th March 2009.

Title:  What did you do in the war granddad? Family History Research Sources and the Manchester Regiment.

Description:  Have you ever wondered how to find out more about your father or grandfathers time in the army?  Want to know what that old photo means or those medals and badges in the box in the attic?  Why not come along to this talk and learn how you can investigate your own family’s involvement with the British Army, in the twentieth century.

Speaker:  Mr Garry Smith (Curator of the Regimental Museum).
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..……………………….....

Date:  Tuesday 12th May 2009.

Title:  Life on the Veldt:  The Manchester’s in South Africa 1899-1902.

Description:  See how the men of Manchester, Ashton-under-Lyne, Oldham, Wigan and from towns across the North West served on the Veldt.  Learn more about those that came home and those that did not. This talk compliments the Museum’s special exhibition (January – June 2009) and the publication of a ground breaking new History detailing the Regiment’s involvement in this watershed campaign.

Speaker:  Captain Robert Bonner (Retired Regimental Officer and Regimental Author).

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Date:  Tuesday 6th October 2009.

Title:  The Ardwick Boys: The Story of the 8th (Ardwick) Battalion of the Manchester Regiment.

Description:  Did you serve with the 8th or do you have a relative that did?  Do you want to know more about their experiences?  This talk compliments the Museum’s special exhibition (July – December 2009) and the publication of a ground breaking new History detailing the Battalions contribution to the defence of the realm and the many people that have served in her ranks through her long and proud history.

Speaker: Captain Robert Bonner (Retired Regimental Officer and Regimental Author).

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Date:  Tuesday 1st December 2009.

Title: We Shall Remember Them: The Work of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

Description: Gain a fascinating insight into the work that the CWGC does to commemorate our war dead – from the building and maintenance of our cemeteries and memorials to the establishment and preservation of their records.

Speakers:  Mr Nigel Haines and Mr Ian Small (CWGC).

For Further Information:

Each talk is FREE to attend and you do not need to book.  The Museum of the Manchester Regiment and Setantii: Tales of Tameside will be open from 6pm.  The talk will start at 7:15pm.  The talk will last for 45 minutes to 1 hour (until 8:15 at the latest) followed by time for questions/answers and an opportunity to look around both Museums.  The Museums will close at 9:30pm.  For further information please contact the Museum of the Manchester Regiment (0161 342 2254) or email garry.smith1@tameside.gov.uk
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 11:59:01 AM by harribobs »
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Offline DaveMurphy

Re: Museum of the Manchester Regiment Evening Talks Programme 2009
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 11:34:19 PM »
Chris,

These talks would be great... unfortunately I will be busy on each of these nights!  ;D

Have they ever thought of Podcasting them? It is pretty simple to record them convert to MP3, then you could post them on the site here for the colonials!

Dave

tisgrannie

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 12:02:43 AM »
I'm sure it would be worth asking Garry the curator. In fact he videoed the ones last year.
tis

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 11:56:18 PM »
Chris,

These talks would be great... unfortunately I will be busy on each of these nights!  ;D

Have they ever thought of Podcasting them? It is pretty simple to record them convert to MP3, then you could post them on the site here for the colonials!

Dave

you're always making excuses not to be there, sailing halfway round the world, first child being born, living in Australia ......

tsk!

Offline DaveMurphy

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 08:07:34 AM »
Well mate, the way I see it, its all your fault! My parents/grandparents were either kicked out of the motherland or decided it best to leave... and all of the trouble is either in your neck of the woods or caused by you lot in some historical respect!

You think I would trade an afternoon swim at Bondi Beach for a lovely day on the sand in the UAE/Kuwait/Saudi??  ;D

And the kids are just trying to sustain this fledgling dominion.

I will try my best to make it! Any advice on whether the Podcasting could be a go-er? I havent visited the GWF in a while... didn't they start doing that on there a while back?

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 11:21:00 PM »
i really don't know mate, i'm afraid that's a little beyond me

you could try contacting Garry at the museum directly

museum link

chris

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 12:05:20 AM »
further update about the evening talks

click the attachment to get pdf file ;)

Offline Robert Bonner

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 04:23:22 PM »
Just a reminder for the final talk of the year.

Ian Small and Nigel Haines from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC), will be talking about their work when they visit the Museum of the Manchester Regiment in Ashton Town Hall on Tuesday 1 December.A rare and fascinating insight into the work the CWGC  to commemorate our war dead; from the building and maintenance of their cemeteries and memorials, to the establishment and preservation of their records.

Since its inception, the Commission has constructed 2,500 war cemeteries and plots, erected headstones over graves and in instances where the remains are missing, inscribed the names of the dead on permanent memorials. But there’s more to the Commission than cenotaphs and cemeteries. You can find out about the history and work of this extraordinary organisation and the vital role they play in remembering our war dead.

The Museum of the Manchester Regiment will be open from 6pm.  The FREE talk will start at 7:15pm.  For further information contact the Museum of the Manchester Regiment.
 Tel: 0161 342 2254 or email garry.smith1(at)tameside.gov.uk. (replace at with @)

...[and the beer at the nearby Caledonia is just as good as when on the 10th February 1900 Joseph Riley, the landlord at the time, gave a farewell party in honour of his son Harry, who was off in the morning with the 1st Volunteer Service Company of the Manchester Regiment bound for the Boer War.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 05:32:34 PM by timberman »
Robert