Author Topic: My Grandfather  (Read 2894 times)

wclarke32

My Grandfather
« on: November 28, 2008, 08:41:00 PM »
Hi there i am new to this site. A friend at work put me in touch with you in the hope that you can help me with anything regarding my grandfather, the regiment, it's movements in the great war etc, etc. I have so many questions i dont know where to start. My grandfathers details would help, well here goes, will give all the info i can. His name is Frederick, Charles, Attack his no is 53751 & he was a private with the Manchesters in the great war. I'm led to believe he was in the 6th battalion. I am also led to believe that the badge of the time was the Fluer De Lys. I hope this is right as i wear it as a key ring so obviously where i go the badge goes. Any information would be greatfully recieved his records especially as im compiling a family tree & family history folder for my granddaughter & grandson. I'm proud of my grandfather to me he is a hero a man with guts, passion & pride. He always told me as a child that he was proud of his king & country & that i should be the same for my queen & country & i am. What our armed services do for us is nothing short of heroic. They put their lives on the line everyday to protect us & our country, THANKYOU to you all. Thankyou for a great website hope to hear from you soon. Wayne Clarke.

Offline kingo

• Administrator
Re: My Grandfather
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 09:19:16 PM »
Hiya Wayne, and welcome to the forum. i have attached your Grandfathers medal index card-he was indeed in the 6th Battalion. Which area did he live in ?.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 07:29:39 PM by timberman »
Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 09:51:06 PM »
Hi Wayne and a Warm Welcome to our Forum  ;D

Not withstanding kingo's valid question, one of my own.

The medal index card posted shows entitlement to Silver War Badge, do you know if he was injured during WW1?

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 10:43:52 PM »
. I am also led to believe that the badge of the time was the Fluer De Lys. . Wayne Clarke.

Hi Wayne

and welcome to the group

i'm afraid it wasn't the fleur de lys at that time. until 1922 the regiment wore the Manchester coat of arms as a cap badge like this one

the 6th battalion wore their own shoulder title

the 'T' indicates they were a territorial force battalion, their headquarters were on Stretford Road in Hulme

cheers

chris

“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

wclarke32

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 10:39:23 PM »
Hiya Wayne, and welcome to the forum. i have attached your Grandfathers medal index card-he was indeed in the 6th Battalion. Which area did he live in ?.
  From what i'm led to believe yes he was injured.

wclarke32

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 10:40:58 PM »
    hi and thankyou for your help. he lived in northampton if that helps.

wclarke32

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 10:42:25 PM »
Hi Wayne and a Warm Welcome to our Forum  ;D

Not withstanding kingo's valid question, one of my own.

The medal index card posted shows entitlement to Silver War Badge, do you know if he was injured during WW1?

Wendi  :)
        im told he was. thankyou for quick response.

wclarke32

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 12:42:30 PM »
. I am also led to believe that the badge of the time was the Fluer De Lys. . Wayne Clarke.

Hi Wayne

and welcome to the group

i'm afraid it wasn't the fleur de lys at that time. until 1922 the regiment wore the Manchester coat of arms as a cap badge like this one

the 6th battalion wore their own shoulder title

the 'T' indicates they were a territorial force battalion, their headquarters were on Stretford Road in Hulme

cheers

chris

Hi thankyou very much for the information. Now i'm wondering if i can purchase the above badges, and if so where from and what sort of cost am i looking at. Any info would be very much appreciated. Once again thankyou Wayne.

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 04:45:21 PM »
hi wayne

those actual badges are in my collection ( and aren't for sale) but i may be able to put you in touch with someone! ;D

chris
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."