Author Topic: Recent trip to Malaysia  (Read 6695 times)

65dash

Recent trip to Malaysia
« on: November 21, 2008, 12:57:19 AM »
I have just returned from Malaysia with my dad Terry Ashton who served there 53'-54' with D Co 10 pltn. We went to  Mentakab , Temerloh . Kuala Krau, Penang and other places. Lots of memories for him both good and bad. He told me about a lad called Alec Cooper who was killed by accident at Minden Barracks when a Bren went off. Does anyone know of this, or remember my Dad , he used to have bright red hair.

tisgrannie

Re: Recent trip to Malaysia
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 01:42:17 AM »
Hi and welcome, I'm sure you will possibly get a response later today. One or two of our experts have had connections with Malaya. I look forward to the outcome.
regards
tisgrannie

tisgrannie

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 01:44:43 AM »
Hi I meant to ask did you take any photos at all. Maybe you would like to share some with us. Especially interested in Grave ones to add to our War graves section on the main site.
tisgrannie

Offline rafboy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 11:59:06 AM »
Hi and welcome.
Take a look at the "Photos By Battalion" you will find photos on the "Photos From The Far East" page from the time your father was there.  I still have to add names to some of the photos which I have received recently from George Swetman.
I was lucky enough to be there with my father (3525679 Sgt Arthur Phillips) who was then in the RAPC but with the 1st Bn as their pay Sgt.  He had served in the 1st Bn for about 18 years before transfering to the RAPC when the Bn came home from Germany before going to Malaya.  We lived in Penang and I went to an Army Boarding School in the Cameron Highlands.
I will PM you with my email address later as i have a number of links to web sites that may be of interest to you and your father.
Cliff
Cliff P Son of 3525679 Sgt Arthur Phillips 1st Bn Manchester Regiment and RAPC

Offline george.theshed197

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 06:56:50 PM »
Hi 65-,
Does your father remember 'Q' Platoon, the S.E.P's, which was attached to 'D' Company down at Tapah for a while - run by Lt Carey along with Sgt Roy Pellowe and Sgt George Swetman, Cpl Charlie Pickles and Co.?? CSM of the company at that time was W.O.II 'Tansey' Leigh.
George.

Offline Robert Bonner

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 10:52:19 AM »
Private Alex Cooper died on 11th January 1954. He was the last Manchester to die in the campaign and was accidentally klled whilst on jungle training with a draft of reinforcements. 

If your father was in  D Company he will surely remembe the final days in January 1954 when a sentry of 10 Platoon guarding a jungle camp, shot and killed a terrorist.  At the time they and the other platoons of their Company  were having a very busy and successful time eliminating the terrorists in Kedah.
Robert
Robert

Son of Tansey

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 02:32:46 AM »
Hello, I'm the son of WO Tansey Leigh and have many photographs of our time in Malaya. Dad died when he was still quite young, in 1973, after migrating to Sydney in 1959. He served in the regiment for 22 years and was a keen photographer and his archive contains many images from the UK, France, India and Malaya.   

Offline george.theshed197

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 09:59:24 AM »
Hi there son of Tansey,
I remember him well, he was company sgt major of D coy when Roy Pellowe and myself were working with Lt Carey and the S.E.P's. Bumped into him whilst out in Oz in Armidale N.S.W. where I was teaching, he almost ran me down on the Zebra crossing by Ernie Jones Store about 1966/7. After a few sharp words were exchanged we had a good chat over a couple of beers about old times and promised to keep in touch but never did, he was down in Sydney and I was up north some 300 miles+ away. However, welcome to the site and we look forward to seeing some of your Dad's photographs and possibly memories.
Take care, George.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 10:25:10 AM by george.theshed197 »

timberman

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 10:11:15 AM »
Hi to you both, 65dash (for posting the topic) and Son of Tansey (for replying)

Welcome to the forum.

This forum never ceases to amaze me.

Timberman