Author Topic: 141st Battalion manchesters in the curragh  (Read 3403 times)

knightstemplar

141st Battalion manchesters in the curragh
« on: October 08, 2008, 05:02:35 PM »
Hi, I'm trying to find information on my grandfather, William Bennett, who married my Gran, Ellen Maude Donoghue at the church of Ireland cathedral in Kildare.   On the marriage certificate their marriage was recorded as the2nd of december 1909, and my grandfathers residence was given as R F A Barracks Kildare which I believe was the Curragh camp. The reason I think he was with the Manchesters is based on a vague memory from my youth. My Grandparents had three children while at the camp William who I think was born in 1910, and Ellen maybe 1912 with my mother being born in 1914.  My Grandfather was listed as a Bombadier in 1909 and by 1914 had achieved the rank of Sergeant. If this information does not have any connection with the Manchesters I would appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction.  Cheers Ken 

knightstemplar

Re: 141st Battalion manchesters in the curragh
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 05:17:40 PM »
I meant to caption it the 2nd Battalion, my Grandfather was listed as a bombadier in the 141st batlw R F A , does this mean battery

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 09:23:44 PM »
RFA is Royal Field Artillery, i would suspect that 141 refers to the battery ( but i'm not an expert on the Artillery)
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

knightstemplar

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 09:24:58 AM »
Many thanks harribobs, I got the r f a off their wedding certificate which was hard to read. Cheers Ken

Offline madeira066

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 01:41:16 PM »
Knightstemplar,
The Royal Field Artillery were responsible for medium calibre guns usually 18 pounders and were deployed close to the front lines,and were quite mobile units.
They were organised into Brigades and attached to Divisions or higher formations,the 141 could possibly be Battery/Brigade or Division number.
Hope this helps in your search.
Dave (ex Gunner).

knightstemplar

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 09:07:22 PM »
Cheers Dave, I think that opens up some more options for me, all the best Ken