Author Topic: Absent Voter's Register  (Read 4104 times)

M/C P

Absent Voter's Register
« on: November 22, 2007, 05:14:28 AM »
Can any tell me if a Man was 21 in May 1917 would it be possible that he reached this age in time to be included in the Roll?

How were the Electoral Rolls arranged, e.g. were the soldiers in the Service overseas and at home? Did the Army or other arm of the services make the arrangements for them to be included?

It would have been a huge job I imagine, particularly when the Men were fighting. Such a great resource today, they would never have imagined this in the trenches etc.

I would be very interested to hear more if anyone can advise me.

Thank you
Pat

tisgrannie

Re: Absent Voter's Register
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 06:57:19 AM »
Hi, macks your man on this subject. I'm sure he will respond shortly.
regards
tisgrannie

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 08:22:50 AM »
hiya pat
a serviceman could register to vote if he was over 19yrs old.
the registration forms were sent to every regt,ship,base etc,no matter where they were.
they began to gather the votes on 1st oct 1917,and i believe they finished it by feb 1918,the registers were then typed up and deposited at the town hall on 1st oct 1918.
mack :)

M/C P

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 04:15:47 AM »
Dear Mack

Thank you that was an excellent reply and gives me such a better understanding of it that I can apply to my family history. I wonder what they thought of it in the trenches. No, no! I do not expect you to know the answer to that, but for those that perhaps were not so preoccupied I should think it would have given them hope that soon they would be home and doing all these boring duties as a matter of course while grumbling about the politicians of the day.

Thank you again Mack,

Kind regards,

Pat