Author Topic: Private 301913 and the 1/8th Battalion Manchester Regiment Ralph Ball  (Read 10925 times)

liverpool annie

Re: Private 301913 and the 1/8th Battalion Manchester Regiment Ralph Ball
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2007, 08:00:27 PM »

I have the Ich Dien ... the History of the South Lancs ... tell me what dates you want and I'll look it up here if you like !!

Annie  :)

PS .... I can't get me head around what dates you need !!  ::)

leefw

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2007, 09:05:12 AM »
Hi Annie

Well, I don't know the exact dates, but I think he might have been transferred in early 1917 (or late 1916). According to my researcher a "few" other men from the South Lancs were also transferred to the Manchester Regt. which is why I was hoping they might have been transferred together and that it might be mentioned in the Manchesters (or South Lancs) war diaries.

My understanding is that the Manchester Regt only arrived in France in early 1917.

About that book... Is it any good? Illustrated?

Regards
Lee Francis

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2007, 11:00:43 AM »

My understanding is that the Manchester Regt only arrived in France in early 1917.

lee

the territorial battalions (including the 8th ) arrived in france in March 1917 after the gallipoli campaign (other battalions of the regiment had been in france since the start of the war  ;))

chris
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

liverpool annie

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2007, 05:25:37 PM »

Hi Lee ..... this book is my bible ... that and Red Roses on the Veldt ( about the regiment in the Boer War !! )

if there was a fire .... these two books would go with me !! :) very few pictures but wonderful maps !!

Well it doesn't look like theres any information regarding changing regiments !! ..... unless your man wanted to go to a regiment where there was some action ..... surprising how many soldiers wanted to do that !!  :-\

In August and September 1916 the 2nd batt were occupying trenches near Theipval and they bore the brunt of exceptionally heavy bombardment which blew in parapets smashed transverses and blocked communications .... Sept 3rd - the battalion now very much exhausted - were ordered to attack the German defences on the Theivpal Spur in the vacinity of Leipzig Redoubt ...... The Germans were on the alert however and the advancing waves of infantry were met with machine gun fire and melted away - none of the attacking units reached their objectives .... the battalion lost 7 officers and 123 OR's killed wounded or missing including the CO Lt Col HT Cotton DSO
This engagement at Theipval was short and sharp all the survivors being back in the lines by 6am.... After the heavy shelling experienced on the days previous to the attack - followed by the casualties received - all ranks were very shaken and exhausted and the battalion was withdrawn to Bouzincourt

For the remainder of Sept nothing of importance to record !

October the battalion was detailed to garrison Hessian Zollern and other trenches to work on the burials of the dead
heavy rain set in turning the ground into a quagmire adding to the danger and discomfort caused by the heavy ceaseless shell fire on 19th they moved to Stuff Redoubt and after 2 postponements because of bad weather they attacked the enemy between Stump Road and Cable Trench .... the casualties were not heavy compared with those normally incurred on the Western Front .... after consolidating it's gains the battalion was relieved and marched back to rest  6 officers 182 OR's killed wounded or missing in the 2 days fighting !

Trench routine was resumed in a much quieter sector farther north in Ploegsteert area and here they remained till the New Year .... the first half of 1917 was was also uneventful but intensive training was carried out in preparation for the forth coming attack on Messines Ridge and vital pioneer work was performed !!

That's about the extent of the South Lancs .... not that it tells you what you want to know !!

Annie  :)

Offline tonyrod

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2007, 06:24:34 PM »
hi lee ,  have you tried ancestry  military pensions only a couple of RALPH BALL you never know you could get lucky.  tony