Author Topic: John Dillon (aka: fun with research)  (Read 8126 times)

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
Re: John Dillon (aka: fun with research)
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 10:03:24 AM »
Hi Mack !  His name was John as well  ::)

John Ford they married in 1922 September Qtr. Chorlton

I'm missing it was well.........what is the number of the John Dillon you think is our man ???

Wendi  :)

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 12:20:27 PM »
the only john dillon,that i can find,wasnt in the manchesters.
private 21913 john dillon
10th royal dublin fusiliers
formerly 16495 royal inniskillin fusiliers.
born withington,manchester.
enlisted manchester
resided at 16 henry st,ardwick
killed in action,22-3-18
he was already serving in the army,before the war began.

mack
this one wendi.
hes a good candidate.

mack

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 01:43:12 PM »
the only john dillon,that i can find,wasnt in the manchesters.
private 21913 john dillon
10th royal dublin fusiliers
formerly 16495 royal inniskillin fusiliers.
born withington,manchester.
enlisted manchester
resided at 16 henry st,ardwick
killed in action,22-3-18
he was already serving in the army,before the war began.

mack
this one wendi.
hes a good candidate.

mack
i checked the absent voters register for ardwick[C1918]
this man came up.
act/lance cpl.85130 john dillon
2nd kings liverpool regt
18 henry st,ardwick
hes not listed on the CWGC.
it looks like hes the son of the above john dillon.

mack

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 05:40:52 PM »
 :-\ I dunno mack

Our John married in 1904 and
george born 1904 and another born 1911
john born 1906 and another born 1907
james born 1908

The addresses make good sense that 21913 John Dillon & 85130 John are father & son, but I'm not sure they are Sheri's family

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

The Colonel

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 07:04:10 PM »
Circumstantial I know, but in my opinion it all points to the John Dillon of the 10th Royal Dublin Fusiliers. He was born in Withington, he married in Chorlton, and his children were born in Chorlton. Sheri did say that she thought John Dillon was born in Ireland - according to what we have found, he wasn't, but there is probably an Irish connection somewhere, hence John Dillon serving in the Dublin Fusiliers & The Inniskillins.
Was John Dillons father Irish I wonder?

The Colonel.

jaded.echo

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2008, 04:49:00 AM »
I really believe that's him.  All the kid's names line up nicely, it's too large a coincidence. 

Martha (Martha aka Pat's mom) went on to marry Jack Ford, with whom she had 2 children, Rose and Bert.  (Robert?  Hard to say.  About 150 pounds to get access to the world records for me here in Canada, which is impossible on a Cpl.'s salary, hahaha!)  Birth-death-military records are out of my reach, unless I find good lists or relatives on the internet.

Thanks again!

Sheri

jaded.echo

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2008, 04:53:10 AM »
OMG, his name was John too!!!???  No wonder he called himself Jack.  LOL!!!!!!!

*snicker* You folks are giving me all kinds of wonderful information, some of which has given me a good laugh!

Sheri

jaded.echo

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2008, 05:02:51 AM »
It's also too bad that engagements didn't have to be registered.  *sigh*  Pat had this wonderful yarn about being engaged to a Scottish fellow before dumping him by mail (Here's the ring, hope this letter makes it to you!)  for my husband's Grandfather (From Amherst, Nova Scotia, Canada.)

She had her daughter in England, then came to Canada by ship, and had a son, my husband's dad.  She HATED it here, really HATED it, so she took off back to Manchester, where they proceeded to produce another son, and live out the rest of her husband's life.

She came back to Canada, New Brunswick this time, to live out her life with us, my husband's family, as they eventually moved back here, after my father-in-law got married and produced two sons in Manchester.  She died very easily, I hope, living in the past for the last few days following a stroke last July.

She was a grand one for telling stories to everyone who would listen.  We shared a wild sense of humor (and a liking for Johnny Walker) that is rarely appreciated, so we got along like wildfire.

Thanks again!  I'll keep digging online for those paper record scans.  One day we'll make the trip, when our son (who has both Canadian and British passports, and is the 4th generation to do so, lol) is old enough (3 and a half at the moment, I don't want to fly with him, and neither would anyone else!  hahaha!) and I'll see the records with my own eyes.

Sheri
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 06:04:17 AM by jaded.echo »

jaded.echo

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2008, 05:32:09 AM »
Ok, and relative to the other John, possibly his son, Pat told me that he lived with his grandmother, ??? Jackson.

Next son, James, worked as a stonemason, and was crushed to death in an accident at the age of 17.  He reportedly went to move a wheelbarrow out of the way of work, at quitting time, when a crane dropped a very large flagstone on him.

Then next, George, was born with one leg longer than the other, but his stepfather made him a special shoe.  He lived to be 90.  He married Phyllis ???.

Elizabeth, I have no information at all on.

Margaret married Tommy Proctor.

For our Pat, here are the notes I have for her, at the moment:

"From the age of 14 worked sewing underwear for 25 shillings a week.  Upon the start of WW2, began sewing uniforms.  Gave mother 20 shillings a week, and was given 5 shillings as an allowance.  She enjoyed dancing, for 1s covercharge, sometimes as much as 3 times a week. 

Three years before and for 1 year after her marriage, she was a milkmaid, delivering milk using an electric car. 

She met her husband, Ray, in the bar of the Midway Hotel.  She had stopped with a few girlfriends for a beer before going dancing.  He sent a beer over to her table for her.  She didn't know that he was Canadian until her stepfather mentioned it upon meeting Raymond for the first time.

The Midway Hotel
703 Stockport Rd, Manchester, M12 4QN, United Kingdom
0161 224 6548"

My husband and Ray look almost like brothers.  Old pictures are eerie.  :-)

Thought you'd find this a fun post.

Sheri

« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 05:39:00 AM by jaded.echo »

jaded.echo

Re: John Dillon (aka: fun with research) - Last one tonight :-)
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2008, 07:10:24 AM »
Here's the URL of my Geneology page, once again, but now very slightly updated for your purposes.  (Sadly, you are among those who will benefit the least.)

http://s.r1chard.ca-a.googlepages.com/home2

If it gives you trouble, copy and paste it.  :-)

Nighty-night, or rather good morning.  :-)

Sheri

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2008, 10:48:18 AM »
the midway hotel,is round the corner from my house,during WW2 it was a popular haunt,for folks who went on to the palais de dance in levenshulme,lots of canadians used it.
me and my mam+dad, all worked there as bar staff over the years,its still going.

mack

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2008, 10:53:01 AM »
Martha (Martha aka Pat's mom) went on to marry Jack Ford, with whom she had 2 children, Rose and Bert.  (Robert?  Hard to say.  About 150 pounds to get access to the world records for me here in Canada, which is impossible on a Cpl.'s salary, hahaha!)  Birth-death-military records are out of my reach, unless I find good lists or relatives on the internet.

Hi Sheri !   All is not lost with a Cpl's salary and a 3 1/2 year old LOL, there are lots of things you can do and console yourself!

The fact that the 1911 Census ~ which would help your quest greatly ~ is not on general release until 2011, so you have a few years to save up, and the odd promotion  ;)

Until then I would say #1 is Pat's birth cert ~ it would however cost £7

For your further info Rose M Ford's birth is registered in Chorlton June Qtr. of 1923 and Herbert J Ford's birth in the March Qtr. of 1925 is in North Manchester.  It is possible that one or both of them is still alive, and Herbert would have been of age to serve in WW2.

There is also a lot of free stuff to assist your research on the internet.   

Check out:

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/ ~ where you may consider posting of their message boards, regarding living rellies ???

http://www.rootschat.com/ ~ where you will find a good few us is, but don't forget you found us here first  ;D :-*

The Colonel

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2008, 07:49:21 PM »
Hi Sheri, Sorry, but I am still unable to view your family tree - according to my PC the website certificate is not verified  ???

So, here is a shot in the dark regards John Dillons parents...

1891 Census RG12 Piece 3168 Folio 15 Page 23
Ardwick, Manchester - registration district Chorlton.
30, Cross St.
John Dillon Head Married 37 Cotton Dyer born Ireland
Sarah Dillon Wife 37 Housekeeper born Ireland
Mary A Dillon daughter 15 Factory Hand born Manchester
Edward Dillon Son 12 Scholar born Manchester
JOHN DILLON Son 6 born Manchester
Michael McDonald Bro-in-law Widower. 40 Cabinet maker born Ireland
Sarah McDonald Niece 15 Factory Hand born Manchester.

The Colonel
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 07:51:43 PM by The Colonel »

jaded.echo

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2008, 09:41:48 PM »
Hello again!  Thank you all, again!!!

If I had known that http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/ existed, I have the strangest feeling that I wouldn't have bothered you for a tenth of the information that I have.  :-)  Thank you so much, Wendi!!!  Now I can get to work on the other English sides of the family!

That is sooooo cool Mack!  Hahaha!  In 5 years or so, let's meet for a beer!

And Colonel, you rock.  You simply rock.  I have the strangest feeling that you just saved me a zillion hours of research.  ((hug))

Oh, yeah, it's a horrible, ad ridden homemade site.  Try these links, that's about all I have on the site anyway:

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=20080810

or if you like it prettier, with the living included (No one seems to care):

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/r/i/c/Sheri-Richard-Burton/TREE/0009tree.html

For that last one, read the directions, or just right click, select find, find John Dillon, right click him, and select make primary individual.  I know, but it IS pretty.

I hope one of them will work for you.  It'd be a shame for you not to get to admire all 1203 people I've typed in so far.  (I know, I know, I'm just getting started.  When I get back to work on the Acadians, that number will EXPLODE.)

Thanks again, I owe you!!!!!!!

Sheri

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2012, 02:56:46 PM »
probably too late for this reply,but posted it anyway.

pte 21913 john dillon of the royal dublin fusiliers is sheris ancestor,he lived at 11 napier st,ardwick,manchester,he worked on the railway as a navvy,he was aged 30/31 when he was killed,married martha jackson,her mother was also called martha,john and his older brother edward were both born in england but their parents john+sarah dillon,were both irish born

mack ;D