Author Topic: John Dillon (aka: fun with research)  (Read 8153 times)

jaded.echo

John Dillon (aka: fun with research)
« on: August 07, 2008, 09:12:06 AM »
Hello there! 

First a quick introduction:  I'm Sheri, living in Canada, married to a soldier over in Afghanistan as I sit at my keyboard.  Before the death of his grandmother last year, I sat down with her and tried to get some of the family history for the tree that I've been bashing my head against for a few years.  I'm writing concerning her father.

She was a creative person with a considerable flair for storytelling, so all "facts" are worth questioning.

John Dillon (sp?) was born in Ireland (?) and lived in Manchester.  His wife was Martha Jackson (later Martha Ford, she remarried).  He was sent home, with many injuries to his head and face (?) and conceived Pat (actually named Martha, my Grandmother-In-Law) when he was sent back to the front to dig trenches where he was killed mere moments before the signing of the treaty. (?)  As they already had 5 children, the birth of Pat brought them to 3 sons and 3 daughters, some time after his death.  Martha Jackson-Dillon had to fight to get the pension for her youngest child, but the dates held and she was reportedly successful. 

Will this information get you wonderful, kind, folks anywhere?  Sadly, it only got me to this record:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=2789931&queryType=1&resultcount=533279

This may or may not be him.  Really difficult to say.

If anyone needs any Canadian records looked up, I'll do anything I can to return all favors! 

Sheri ???

jaded.echo

Re: John Dillon (aka: fun with research)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 09:20:09 AM »
Oh, here's a link to a bit of my tree, as always, a work in progress.

http://s.r1chard.ca-a.googlepages.com/home2

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 12:31:25 PM »
hi sheri

and welcome to the group

well i don't think that's your man, as far as i can see that John Dillon survived the war

have a look at this site for starters, the commonwealth war graves commission search facilty and see if you can spot him there

http://www.cwgc.org/debt_of_honour.asp?menuid=14

cheers

chris
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 02:24:59 PM »
Hi Sheri and a Warm Welcome to the forum   ;D

I've just had a very quick look at your website family tree are these the children of the John Dillon you are looking for? 

John Dillon b: ABT 1919
James Dillon b: ABT 1920
Elizabeth Dillon b: ABT 1922
George Dillon b: ABT 1921
Margaret Dillon b: ABT 1923
Martha Dillon b: ABT 1924

If so your grandmother had more than flair  :D as the war was over in 1918  :o and the next one did not start until 1939

However all is not lost, I'm sure we can help unravel the story.  Do you by any chance have your Grandmothers birth certificate?

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 02:26:41 PM »
the only john dillon,that i can find,wasnt in the manchesters.
private 21913 john dillon
10th royal dublin fusiliers
formerly 16495 royal inniskillin fusiliers.
born withington,manchester.
enlisted manchester
resided at 16 henry st,ardwick
killed in action,22-3-18
he was already serving in the army,before the war began.

mack

The Colonel

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 02:41:54 PM »
Hi Sheri, and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately I was unable to view your ancestral notes via the website you provided, however, I did locate a marriage of a John DILLON to Martha Jackson, March Qtr, 1904 registered in the district of Chorlton. 8c 1209. Is this your John Dillon?

SDGW List the following John Dillon's deaths in 1918.

Royal Horse Artillery & Royal Field Artillery.
Gunner 138932 John Dillon.
Born Dalton, Lancs.
Enlisted Dalton, Lancs.
Died of wounds 18/10/1918. F&F.

Royal Dublin Fusiliers. 10th Battalion.
Pte. 21913 John Dillon
Born Withington, Manchester.
Enlisted Manchester.
Killed in action 27/3/1918. F&F.
Formerly 16495 R. Innis. Fus.

Manchester Regiment.
Pte. 401013 John Richard Dillon
Born Prescot, Lancs.
Enlisted Liverpool.
Killed in action 22/3/1918 F&F.

I have to agree with Mack regards the J Dillon of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers. John Dillon married Martha Jackson in the district of Chorlton and Withington falls wthin that same district - South Manchester.

The Colonel.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 02:57:42 PM by The Colonel »

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 03:10:20 PM »
I did locate a marriage of a John DILLON to Martha Jackson, March Qtr, 1904 registered in the district of Chorlton. 8c 1209.

Nice find Linda  ;D  There is also the birth of a Martha Dillon registered in Chorlton in the Sept. Qtr of 1918 mothers maiden name JACKSON

Seems to fit nicely

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

The Colonel

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 03:17:37 PM »
"YEAH!!" - I'm on form today Wendi. The birth of Martha you found sounds correct too - looks like we've found the right Dillon family!   ;D  ;D  ;D

The Colonel.

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 03:23:22 PM »
Yup I think you are right as there are 2 more births registered in Chorlton with mothers maiden name Jackson which kinda fit

Elizabeth Dillon March Qtr 1913

Margaret Dillon March Qtr 1915

Sheri, mothers maiden names were not added to the Index until 1912 so that is why it's not so easy to identify earlier children.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 04:13:29 PM »
george born 1904 and another born 1911
john born 1906 and another born 1907
james born 1908

all in chorlton

mack

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 09:07:54 PM »
Sheri, mothers maiden names were not added to the Index until 1912 so that is why it's not so easy to identify earlier children.

But not impossible  ;D The Wizard has done it again !

jaded.echo

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 02:30:49 AM »
Oh, I'm just amazed!!!  You have found everything I needed to know!  I just can't wait to take this all in and see what I come up with.

I knew she was lying about the birth dates, haha, but I couldn't really say anything.  I mean, she wasn't a young miss, but she was very conscious of her image.  And, well, now it's ok to change the dates.  ;-)

Thank you all so much, I was very fortunate to stumble blindly upon your site.  :-)

My husband will be impressed, indeed.  Maybe we'll find (visit) his grave, one day.

Sheri

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 09:09:55 AM »
i am getting lost in the genealogy here ;D

have we decided which John Dillon is our man ???

chris
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 09:25:36 AM »
Nope I don't think so, but I'd love to know what it says under father's profession on Martha's birth certificate. 

Bet it's got rank, number and regiment  :D

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 09:52:00 AM »
just to add to the above private john dillon,he was in the fighting at mons in 1914 and awarded the mons star,he was already a serving soldier,when the war began.
john+martha appear to have had children on a regular basis up until the war started,i estimate that margaret was concieved before he went to france,but then theres no more children,till marthas birth in 1918[and non after]ime guessing that martha was concieved xmas 1917,then he returned to france,and got killed in the march offensive.

we may have a long shot at proving if this man is marthas dad,wot was the name of the man,that martha married after john was killed.

mack