Author Topic: Richard Lawrence Ward 20th Manchester Regiment  (Read 14463 times)

damopk1

Re: Richard Lawrence Ward 20th Manchester Regiment
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2008, 01:45:23 PM »
I just read that Wilfred Owen trained with the 3/5th Manchesters. If my great grandfather did remain in England rather than go to Galipoli is it likely they would have met?

Damian

damopk1

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2008, 02:07:17 PM »
I've cleared up the mystery surrounding who Richard's father was. According to Richard's marriage certificate his father was Thomas Ward.

However, the birth certificate I received for Richard did not have the middle name Lawrence and the father was Samuel. I think that this was a different person but I cannot find a record of any Richard Lawrence Ward born around this time. This makes me think that he did not take the name Lawrence until later (perhaps as a confirmation name, the family is Catholic) and he was born as simply Richard Ward but not in Salford.

Another interesting fact I learned from my mother this weekend was that Richard was a boxing referee.

Damian

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2008, 05:56:06 PM »
Hey good news Damian ! 

Certificates can confirm a lot, and are often worth getting, as this case proves.  I think your conclusions work, but always keep an open mind  ;D

Wendi
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha