Author Topic: Lt Evan Frederick Phillips  (Read 99 times)

Offline Bob.NB

• Global Moderator
Lt Evan Frederick Phillips
« on: January 10, 2021, 04:53:32 PM »
I'm trying to research Lt Evan Frederick Phillips and have hit a brick wall.
I have his birth details and early First World War service in the RAMC (August 1914 to January 1917).
He then went to the officer cadet corps and was commissioned 2nd Lt in October 1917 and posted to 5th Battalion Manchester Regiment.
However the trail then goes cold and I can find nothing further about him until he is attached to the 4th Border Regiment in February 1919 with whom he served in Afghanistan in the 3rd Afghan War (medal and clasp).
He resigned his commission in August 1920 and died in 1956.
I've trawled through the 5th Battalion's war diary but can find no mention of him (not even his arrival and departure).
Does anyone know anything about him.
As always any information or advice on how to pursue this enquiry most gratefully received.
Many thanks.
Bob B

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
Re: Lt Evan Frederick Phillips
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 12:38:08 PM »
Bob B,   The Regimental History of the Border Regiment (1924) has a reference to the lst/4th battalion & the 2nd/4th Bn. but no ref to Lt. Phillips.    I forward the details in case they are of use.
"It remained in India until the end of 1919, having served in the Third Afghan War of that year.  Left Peshawar on the 11th November and embarked in H.M.T. FRIEDRICHSRUH on 15th.  Disembarked at Plymouth on the 9th December and proceeded thence to various dispersal stations.    The Cadre was sent first to Kendal then to Carlisle, being finally dispersed on the 31st January 1920."
PhilipG.

Offline Bob.NB

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 01:15:36 PM »
Philip,
That's very useful, thank you very much.
Best wishes.
Bob

Offline Timberman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 07:27:01 PM »

Hi Bob

He is on the Manchester Army list under the 5th for 1917 and 18
 as joining on the 26th September 1917. On his MIC he was comm
 on the 25/09/17.
 All his medals were issued by the RAMC.
 On his MIC his number is 91, on the Medal Roll it gives his old number
 as 91 and new number as 510089.

Unable to post the MIC or the Medal roll as my computer is playing up.

Neil

Offline Bob.NB

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 02:58:23 PM »
Timberman,
Many thanks for this - I have his MIC thanks.
He is on an RAMC roll for the 1914-15 Star but on a Manchester roll for the British War and Victory Medals.
I have copies of his soldier's papers (RAMC) that I got years ago at the National Archives but I cannot find his officer's papers.
In fact I can find almost nothing about his time with the 5th Battalion - I'm not even sure if he ever actually joined up with them.
All very frustrating.
Thanks again and best wishes.
Bob
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 03:49:02 PM by Bob.NB »