Author Topic: Captain George Stuart Henderson VC, DSO and Bar, MC (Manchester Regiment)  (Read 92 times)

Offline Bruce Brown

Gentlemen and Ladies,

As Secretary of the Gordon and Westruther Community Council in the Scottish Borders,  I am writing to you to hopefully enlist your support in establishing a permanent memorial to the bravery of Captain George Henderson VC, of the Manchester Regiment, probably the most famous son of our community, here in the village of Gordon.  Our chairman, Douglas Tweedie, has already raised the issue in the local newspaper "The Southern Reporter"

Part of the UK Government’s national WW1 Centenary Commemoration Campaign was the Victoria Cross Paving Stones program-an initiative which would see commemorative paving stones laid at places of significance for the 628 British servicemen who received the highest military honour for courage while in contact with the enemy.  The WW1 centenary is now passed but why should the program end there?  There have been VC's won in conflicts since the Great War and it is fitting that stones continue to be laid on the centenary of their award. Captain Henderson served with distinction in WW1 but was awarded his VC (posthumously) in Mesopotamia in 1920. There is strong feeling he should be commemorated in Gordon, the village of his birth by laying a commemorative flag/paving stone as afforded to many of his VC comrades throughout the nation.

Our Chairman, Douglas Tweedie, is still in contact with Captain Henderson's descendants, who are keen to support the project and have already offered funds. We are actively seeking further funding from the government via John Lamont MP, Scottish Borders Council as well as possibly crowd funding through the local community, to site a memorial to what is probably Gordon’s most famous son and possibly Scotland’s most highly decorated officer. We are hoping to achieve this by Remembrance Sunday in November.

Any support former Manchesters could give would be greatly received through crowd-funding. (link to be created!)

Thanks for listening and look forward to maybe hearing back from some of you.

Kindest regards,
Bruce Brown

Offline Bruce Brown

Re: Captain George Stuart Henderson VC, DSO and Bar, MC (Manchester Regiment)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 06:36:42 PM »
Dear All,

We have now established the GoFundMe website for donations for a memorial for Captain Henderson should you so wish.

It is: https://gf.me/u/yxg9jm

Kind regards,
Bruce Brown (Secretary)
Gordon and Westruther Community Council

Online mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 11:32:45 AM »
captain henderson is listed on eight war memorials that i know of,but what surprises me is hes not on the scottish national war memorial,hes one of scotlands highest decorated soldiers

mack

Offline Bruce Brown

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 12:19:26 PM »
Mack,
Very good point; I don't know why that isn't so but I will be writing to them regarding this omission and will let you know the outcome.
Thanks for pointing that out!
Bruce

Offline Bruce Brown

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 02:59:47 PM »
The answer from the Scottish National War Memorial:

"Thank you for your email.  Captain Henderson will not have been included in the original Rolls of Honour for the Scottish National War Memorial as he died outside the official end date of World War One with signing of the Versailles Peace Treaty on 28 June 1919.  However, I have recently revised these “eligibility criteria” for inclusion in the Rolls of Honour to mirror the dates the Commonwealth War Graves Commission use for the First World War; 4 Aug 1914 – 31 Aug 1921, and so he now falls within our criteria.
Proof of his Scottish Heritage, by an electronic copy of a Birth certificate. would be the final documentary evidence I would require to include his name in our Rolls of Honour.
I look forward to hearing back from you.
Yours sincerely, 
Lt Col (Retd)"

I will get in touch with George Henderson's descendants......

Online mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 08:57:52 PM »
hiya bruce
whoever it was who sent you the reply from the SNWM obviously doesnt know what hes talking about,the memorial is for servicemen from all conflicts from WW1,to the present day,the latest being cpl lovatt who died last year,AND he was born in england.

mack