Author Topic: Seeking Information on Private Robert James Sheridan  (Read 98 times)

Offline Restharrow59

Seeking Information on Private Robert James Sheridan
« on: July 31, 2020, 10:42:08 PM »
Hello,

I am seeking information with regard to my Maternal Great-Grandfather, Private Robert James Sheridan. Sadly very little is known about Robert. He was married to my Great-Grandmother, Florence Sheridan (Nee Burgoyne) They had several children, my grandad, Robert James, Cyril, Stanley, Olive and Florence. As far as I am aware the family lived in Salford all their lives. Florence remained a widow until she died in 1970. My Mother seems to think Great-Grandad was killed in 1916.
Could anyone assist me please?  thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,

Julie   

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
Re: Seeking Information on Private Robert James Sheridan
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 08:16:28 AM »
Hi Julie,
Sgt 6072 James Sheridan was killed in action 2 March 1916, serving with 12th Bttn, aged 30. He is commemorated on the Menin Gate. (Always worth a visit.) https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/916560/JAMES%20SHERIDAN/ The War Diary says 12th Bttn were in Rest Camp on the date of death, but the entry for 29th Feb indicates D Coy may have been in the line - I think near Armentiers.

Son of William and Mary Jane Sheridan, of 4, West Clowes St., Salford, Manchester; husband of Florence Sheridan, of 83, Bury St., Pendleton, Lancs.  James had arrived in France with the Bttn on 17/7/1915.

His widow Florence later lived at 8 Rose? St, Trafford Rd, Salford.  FLorence received a pension for 5 children. Robert Stanley 11/05/1909, FLorence Mary 1/10/1910, Robert James 1/6/1912, John Bugoyne 10/5/1914 and Cyril born less than 2 months prior to his father's death 20/1/1916.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 08:29:55 AM by Tim Bell »
Following one Platoon and everything around them....
http://17thmanchesters.wordpress.com/about/

Offline Restharrow59

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 08:32:27 PM »
Thank you so much for that information Tim.
I’ve just signed up to the Forces War Records online & found my Great-Grandfather’s records. I also searched under the name of Robert James Sheridan & found an entry from the National Role of the Great War. It states that Sgt. R.J. Sheridan volunteered in 1914 & in July the following year crossed to France where he took part in heavy fighting in the Battle of Loos. He also served in Hooge and lost his life on 2nd March 1916 whilst trying to save a wounded man under heavy shellfire. It seems he was recommended for the Distinguished Service Medal. There is no service number on the record so I’m not sure if it’s my Great-Grandfather. Is there any way of checking please. There is a Salford address of 7, Speakman St, Salford on the record.

Kind Regards,  Julie

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 08:00:14 AM »
Hi Julie,
Most records have just James Sheridan, but the Medal Index Card does have Robert James.  It's not uncommon for men to use their second names, but usually official documents wouldn't omit the first name.
The National Roll entry is the right man, from the date of death.  This source is unreliable on Battles and dates, but the reference to helping a wounded man and recommendation for award isn't what I would expect to be made up.   Only the VC was postumous.
Just to confirm errors, the medal recommondation with be for Distinguished Conduct Medal - not Service. 
Welcome to the confusion of Great War Records.
Tim
Following one Platoon and everything around them....
http://17thmanchesters.wordpress.com/about/

Offline Restharrow59

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 10:38:48 PM »
Hi Tim,

Thank you for the information, very much appreciated.
I was very moved to read of the circumstances surrounding my great-grandfather’s death.

Kind Regards,

Julie