Author Topic: Charles Bailey  (Read 3380 times)

Offline BendigoRob

Charles Bailey
« on: July 28, 2020, 02:05:27 AM »

Starting some work on tracking down some of my ancestors and their journeys to Australia.
Charles Bailey was my 3x (or 4x - a bit of a bump in the history I've not worked out yet).
He came to Port Arthur, Tasmania as a member of the 96th Regiment, some time in the 1840s I believe, and later settled and farmed near Bridgewater, Victoria, where he died and is buried.
Are there accessible (on-line) Regimental records that might be able to provide more insights into Charles and his service, both before and during his period in Tasmania?
Thanks,
Rob Stephenson

Offline Bob.NB

• Global Moderator
Re: Charles Bailey
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 10:20:21 AM »
Rob,
The 96th Regiment of Foot was 'broken' into 26 separate detachments in 1839. These detachments began to arrive in Australia during 1839, with the headquarters company being one of the last detachments to arrive in 1841. Throughout 1839 to 1841 the 96th acted as guards on convict ships. The regiment remained in Tasmania (Van Diemen's Land)until 1848 sailing to India in January of 1849.
If you want to trace your ancestor's movements the best bet is to visit the National Archives at Kew and look through the Muster Rolls of the 96th and you should be able to see where he was month by month- unfortunately these are not available online.
Bob B

Offline BendigoRob

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 06:55:36 AM »

Thanks for that response Bob. Another note to put in my file for when the World opens up to us again!
Regards,
Rob

Offline BendigoRob

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 03:14:52 AM »
Some copies of Regimental Records available in the National Library of Australia collections on-line, here:
https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-1412318489