Author Topic: L/cpl 23440 frank,gordon hamilton. 11th manchesters  (Read 429 times)

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
Re: L/cpl 23440 frank,gordon hamilton. 11th manchesters
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2020, 05:18:56 PM »
Mack,
If you care to give me some names I could see if there is any info. this end.   PhilipG.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2020, 07:32:28 PM »
sidney sumner,clerk argentine western railway,2/Lt kings liverpool
sydney bedford,fitter argentine western railway,ASC.MT
william sewell,engineer argentine western railway,ASC.MT

leopold hillman,printer,5909 royal munster fusiliers
james prior,tailor 5754 royal munster fusiliers
both were intending to reside at 37 havelock rd,brighton on arrival in england

Lt arthur eric withington,printer,royal sussex regiment

alan,henry atkins,civil engineer,yorkshire regiment

2/Lt charles,st.vincent allen,bookkeeper cordoba central railway,east kent regt,att to MGC,died 16-2-17

henry,elworthy macdonald,accounts dept,argentine central railway,KRRC,die 28-8-16

talbot,effingham carr,estate manager,921.king edwards horse
george,vale wheston,bank clerk,1405.king edwards horse

john mcgoey,traffic inspector,argentine north eastern rail,irish guards

geoffrey,lionel parsons,cashier,sgt RE formerly royal fusiliers

andrew,arthur mack,cashier,RE

frank brown,mechanic,60 dowers st,accrington
plus his wife daisy
evan,hugh jones,printer,llandudno
gerald mavins,seaman,sailors home,liverpool
francis,james gregory,mechanic,bull hotel,stratford

this is just the basic info

mack
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 09:51:12 AM by mack »

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2020, 09:27:54 AM »
Mack,

Thank you.  Proceeding immediately.,  PhilipG.

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2020, 02:59:57 PM »
Mack,
Three from your list :    2nd Lt. Charles St.Vincent Allen, The Buffs (E.Kent Regt.) attached MG Corps, died, as you say, on the 16th February 1917.  Buried at Bells Hill Burial Ground, Herts.

5754 Pte James Prior. 1st battalion Royal Munster Fusiliers.  KIA 21st August 1915.  No known grave his name therefore is on the Helles Memorial.

R/10083  Sergeant Henry Elworthy Macdonald  12th battalion KRRC.  KIA 28th August 1916.   Buried Delville Wood Cemetery.   " came from the Argentine to serve".             

PhilipG.

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2020, 10:57:35 AM »
Mack,       I have now run through your list and all I've come up with and which is worthy of comment are the following.                                                                                                                    William Sewell Service No. M2/047264.          Leopold Millman - A sergeant in the 1st Munsters.      Lt. Arthur Eric Withington  -  8th Royal Sussex

John Macgoey - Note spelling. 6813 2nd Bn. Irish Gds.  Rank Corporal.        Sgt. Geoffrey Lionel Parsons -  Service No. 197949.

There were four names I could not trace and some names I found had no detail attached.    But a worthwhile exercise.   Whilst searching, I discovered sixteen names of soldiers from the Argentine  who had chosen to enlist in the Manchester Regiment, but I think the position regarding these men would have been covered some years ago.

PhilipG.

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2020, 12:50:06 PM »
In regard to recruitment, care had to be taken in this matter as the Argentine was a neutral country.    Thus it appears that on arrival in the UK the enrolment of the volunteers took place there.    It is understandable as to why John Macgoey enlisted in the 2nd Bn. Irish Guards, but it is not so easy to ascertain the reason L/Cpl. Hamilton chose to serve in the 11th Manchesters.  SDGW has him enlisting in Manchester.

This was a Service Battalion formed in Ashton-u-Lyne in August 1914, soon to move to Grantham and then to Witley Camp in Surrey.  On the 30th June 1915 it left Liverpool for Mudros, thence to Imbros and eventually, of course, landed at Suvla Bay.     Sadly, L/Cpl Hamilton  was not with them.

(Mack,  I apologise for the presentation of the previous post, but Apple decided my original format could be improved, with the result as seen).

PhilipG.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2020, 03:16:16 PM »
the argentine government stated that anyone who volunteered to fight in the war,no matter what nationality or which side they fought on,it would not effect their pre war status in argentina

mack

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2020, 08:07:52 PM »

I think the reason care had to be taken was for security reasons and also the need to be aware of the Republic's neutrality laws, too.  The German warship Graf Spee in WW2 comes to mind, together with HMS Exeter, HMS Ajax & HMNZS Achilles.     PhilipG.